• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What kind of worker are you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of worker are you?

Are you the 'arms folded' type where you 'have done your bit' and it's 'somebody elses problem' and the 'arse covering email' is in the sent items folder. Or do you muck in and help out where you can?

I don't work well with arm folders. They irritate the tulipe out of me. (Contract and perm). Then again I have a tendancy to over extend, find myself then spread way too thin and on the brink of needing rubber sheets, (while the arm folders point and laugh).

So, are you worth your day rate as project hero? Or an arm folder?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Arm Chair Field Marshal.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Arm Chair Field Marshal.

HTH
      You don't even work AtW. Off you pop love.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I'm a hero and more than worth my rate IMHO, I find others are more than willing to palm off extra work my way.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Are you the 'arms folded' type where you 'have done your bit' and it's 'somebody elses problem' and the 'arse covering email' is in the sent items folder. Or do you muck in and help out where you can?

I don't work well with arm folders. They irritate the tulipe out of me. (Contract and perm). Then again I have a tendancy to over extend, find myself then spread way too thin and on the brink of needing rubber sheets, (while the arm folders point and laugh).

I am running a company to make profit, I will try my best to make contracts last longer. My work seems to be in the habit of not being ready until after my contract end date.

Comment

Ducking and diving
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Superhero. I wear my underpants on the outside.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Superhero. I wear my thong on the outside.
                FTFY
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Superhero. I wear my underpants on the outside.
                  i'm a commando, doing what neds to be done......and I don't wear underpants at all
                  Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

The interesting thing about "arm folders" vs. "project hero" is that, for most people, it's never quite that black and white, and whether you are an "arm folder" or a "project hero" can largely be a product of your working environment.

I would always like to be a "project hero" but I've worked in places where everyone that surrounds you (irrespective of seniority) is an "arm folder" and is just looking for the "project hero" idiot to stick his neck out so that blame for inevitable failures can be pinned on him/her. Being a "project hero" in these circumstances is like having a death wish and will negatively impact your reputation and, if allowed to go on long enough, your career.

Alternatively, when you're working with other "project heroes" in an organisation that fosters a culture that supports and encourages such practices, being one yourself is a good thing and a mutually rewarding experience.

Unfortunately, there are far more organisations that foster an "arm folding" culture (even if they don't explicitly intend to do so - it's usually instilled over time via "the monkey story") than there are organisations that foster (and reward) the "project hero" mentality and working practice. This is especially true in the world of medium/large corporate enterprises.

Comment

Working...
                    X