• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat Rate VAT and Reverse charge on services obtained from an EC state ex-VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Rate VAT and Reverse charge on services obtained from an EC state ex-VAT

I'm a straightforward flat-rate scheme contractor who pays a company in Germany for a service. That company doesn't charge me VAT and their invoices are marked "reverse charge applies". I don't acquire any goods from the EC or make any supplies there.

After several calls to the VAT helpline I've been advised with clarity:

Amount actually paid to German company (which does not include VAT) x 20% = Notional UK VAT

Box 1 contains ((My Turnover inc VAT * my flat-rate percentage) + Notional UK VAT)
    Box 2 is empty.
    Box 3 is (Box 1 + Box 2)
    Box 4 contains (Notional UK VAT)
    Box 5 is (Box 3 - Box 4)
    Box 6 contains (My Turnover inc VAT) + (Amount actually paid to German company)
    Box 7 contains (Amount actually paid to German company)
    Box 8 is empty
    Box 9 is empty

End result of all this, since Box 4 is subtracted Box 3, is that the amount I actually have to pay (box 5) is exactly the same as it would have been if I'd not bought the services from the EC state - my Turnover inc VAT * my flat-rate percentage.

One could argue that all this is pointless, and I was expecting to have to pay the notional UK VAT, but it's good to make sure everything t is crossed and every i is dotted :-)

I asked them to clarify the documentation on this incredibly confusing arrangement! Hope this helps.

Working...
X