• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK nuclear sites at risk of flooding, report shows

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK nuclear sites at risk of flooding, report shows

fooookushima! - we must build pretty windmills now!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...-risk-flooding

As many as 12 of Britain's 19 civil nuclear sites are at risk of flooding and coastal erosion because of climate change, according to an unpublished government analysis obtained by the Guardian.

Nine of the sites have been assessed by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) as being vulnerable now, while others are in danger from rising sea levels and storms in the future.

The sites include all of the eight proposed for new nuclear power stations around the coast, as well as numerous radioactive waste stores, operating reactors and defunct nuclear facilities. Two of the sites for the new stations – Sizewell in Suffolk and Hartlepool in County Durham, where there are also operating reactors – are said to have a current high risk of flooding. Closed and running reactors at Dungeness, Kent, are also classed as currently at high risk.

As well as rising sea levels, the UK is also feeling the effect of post-glacial rebound, stemming from the last ice age.

Relieved of the weight of the ice, the North of the UK is rising and the South sinking in a kind of seesaw effect and this will affect Hinckley Point.

Post-glacial rebound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's talking about house prices right? I'm buying Glen Coe...

Good comment - I agree,

Up until the Fukushima nuclear breakdown I was willing to consider nuclear as one of the options to provide power so long as it received no subsidies. However all my confidence in the nuclear industry evaporated after Fukushima, not just because of the explosion but also because of the Nuclear Industry PR machine that went into overdrive within days of the tsunami.
    Long before we knew details about what had happened and long before the ongoing breakdown had run its course they were claiming that the event was small and proved the safety of nuclear power. They were wrong with the former claim and wrong with the second claim and it was far too soon to know anyway.
    As a result I believe nothing the nuclear industry say, I now have no confidence in them at all. I wouldn't trust them to safely organise a vicars tea party.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Working...
X