• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Affordable Homes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Affordable Homes

commission on affordable houses in rural areas reported yesterday that 11,000 new affordable homes need to be built each year in villages with populations of less than 11,000 in order to meet demand.
    Interesting...

The developers have to be given planning permission to build sufficient numbers of private homes so they can cross subsidise cheaper, affordable housing as part of the package.
    apparently this means

concreting over the south of England
    I'm alright Jack

Buying land

Anyone looked into speculative land purchases with the aim of waiting 5 or so years before the land is reclassified as housing land?

Lots of companies on the Internet selling freehold greenbelt land for a few K per plot?

If New Lie do decide to concrete over the whole of the Saaarf I'd like to make a few quid out of it.

Comment

There's some enterprising chap somewhere who claimed unregistered land - generally scrappy bits of verges and the like - then charged people who had to pass over them (such as to get out of their driveways onto the road) huge sums of money! Apparently, there's not a lot that can be done about it!

Must be a contractor, who else would have time to spend all day looking at land registry maps to find out what's unclaimed/unregistered!

Comment

If the land is worth that much in the future then it would not be sold on now. I looked into buying speculative land a few years ago and every scrap of land I could find was already purchased by a large house builder or an an option to purchase order on it if planning could be achieved. Some builders are buying 10 years ahead of the lands use - and they will buy at tommorrows price pricing the smaller person out the market.

Comment

commission on affordable houses in rural areas reported yesterday that 11,000 new affordable homes need to be built each year in villages with populations of less than 11,000 in order to meet demand.

Why????? Where has all this sudden demand come from? Basically all that will happen is that people will demand, in the interest of fairness, that they should be able to live in Pretty Village on the Green - 11,000 houses later we will have Scummy Housing Estate on the Mold

Comment

I see a lot of companies selling tiddly plots for £10K (yeah right), but also away from these rip off land investment companies are genuine farmland and paddocks for sale in the South of England for £50 or £60K. Usually about 4 or 5 acres of land.

e.g. http://www.primelocation.com/farms-e...lafa999000384/

These no point buying a 10m square plot among 100 others I agree.

Do you think this is a good investment?
            Last edited by DimPrawn; 18 May 2006, 14:31.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck
              There's some enterprising chap somewhere who claimed unregistered land - generally scrappy bits of verges and the like - then charged people who had to pass over them (such as to get out of their driveways onto the road) huge sums of money! Apparently, there's not a lot that can be done about it!

Must be a contractor, who else would have time to spend all day looking at land registry maps to find out what's unclaimed/unregistered!
              Wasnt that some dodgy bugger who was puying titles to long since deceased "titles", like lord of bognor upon tyne. And then he charged people who lived on the lands he had brought the title to and when they didnt pay up threatened to take them to court.

From memory I believe the majority of his "victims" were pensioners.

Not sure how this one ended up but there was an article on the beeb about the legality of buying long since dead titles etc.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
                Wasnt that some dodgy bugger who was puying titles to long since deceased "titles", like lord of bognor upon tyne. And then he charged people who lived on the lands he had brought the title to and when they didnt pay up threatened to take them to court.

From memory I believe the majority of his "victims" were pensioners.

Not sure how this one ended up but there was an article on the beeb about the legality of buying long since dead titles etc.

Mailman
                Yes, I think that's the one. I remember seeing it on TV and quietly applauding his gumption, although if he did it to me, that would be a completely different matter!

Comment

Interesting how in the space of 5 or 6 years that we now have a housing/land shortage.

All that is different now is that the prices have rocketed. This is due to speculators getting their snouts ion the trough for a quick buck, rather than any requirement to buy somewhere to actually live.

I blame Sarah Beeny. If she didn't have such huge knockers then no one would have paid attention to her.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                    Anyone looked into speculative land purchases with the aim of waiting 5 or so years before the land is reclassified as housing land?

Lots of companies on the Internet selling freehold greenbelt land for a few K per plot?

If New Lie do decide to concrete over the whole of the Saaarf I'd like to make a few quid out of it.
                    These schemes are a con.

Near me one of these companies bought some land from a local farmer.

Next thing he finds out its been sub-divided and sold off mostly to people who seem to think that owning a few square metres of land will help them in their quest for a UK passport.

The land has no planning permission and will never get it. Its prime agricultural land, in an AONB. Developers would not touch it with a barge pole as they dont want to deal with 100's of owners. The local authority has stated they would never give planning permission.
                    Its all pretty sad really. The company have made hundreds of thousands and the buyers lost thousands each.

Comment

Working...
                    X