• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Tablet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Tablet

Trying to stay away from the willy waving iPad3 thread but for the first time in a while I am now starting to seriously think about a tablet and am now decided on either an iPad 3 (or what ever they are called) or an ASUS Transformer Prime. I have had iOS and Android phones and equally at home with either operating system, I am comfortable with the look and feel of both, my only query would be around Video playback and productivity.

Most of my video files are AVI's or MKV's, where as with iOS it's proven a PITA to get them to play back, I assume an Android based tablet will play them back natively, even make it easy by allowing an SD Card etc.

Also I would want some basic office type functionality, editing word documents, maybe a bit of expenses in an excel spreadsheet, again this would mean I am leaning towards an Android device and something like QuickOffice Pro.

My heart say's iPad as the screen and UX is second to none, my head say's Android for the two reasons give.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Something to read in the meantime

Asus Eee Pad Transformer to be first Ice Cream Sandwich tablet - Pocket-lint

Asus Transformer Prime Runs Ubuntu Linux, Video Included - Softpedia

How to Install Ubuntu on Transformer Prime! - xda-developers
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

*waiting for lenovo yoga laptop/tablet hybrid*
      Happy days every day...just keep invoicing.

Comment

Do you want wifi and 3G? If so, then your choice becomes more limited.

What kind of screen size are you after? I'm not sure that a 7" screen or smaller makes sense, but it depends on what you really want to use it for.

What kind of money are you looking to spend? Are you expecting it to be something that you use a lot, or is it going to be a shiny toy that you get fed up of soon? Are you looking to replace your laptop and use this as something light-weight instead?

My top three to consider (in no particular order) would be:
        Asus Transformer Prime
        Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab
        Andypad Pro

T3 rated the Samsung better than iPad 2 on everything that matters, but gave it a lower overall rating because there weren't as many apps available. I can't remember if they did a full review of the ATP. Andypad is the best of the cheapest ones out there.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

there is no tablet market only an IPad market

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Trying to stay away from the willy waving iPad3 thread but for the first time in a while I am now starting to seriously think about a tablet and am now decided on either an iPad 3 (or what ever they are called) or an ASUS Transformer Prime. I have had iOS and Android phones and equally at home with either operating system, I am comfortable with the look and feel of both, my only query would be around Video playback and productivity.

Most of my video files are AVI's or MKV's, where as with iOS it's proven a PITA to get them to play back, I assume an Android based tablet will play them back natively, even make it easy by allowing an SD Card etc.

Also I would want some basic office type functionality, editing word documents, maybe a bit of expenses in an excel spreadsheet, again this would mean I am leaning towards an Android device and something like QuickOffice Pro.

My heart say's iPad as the screen and UX is second to none, my head say's Android for the two reasons give.
            I would wait a few months, it won't be long before Samsung or someone else brings out an iPad killer like the S2 did to iPhone. You will have the same hardware, but with a OS that doesn't lock down everything.

Comment

The market for tablets would be so much better if they hadn't stopped the sale Samsung Galaxy tablet damn you Apple
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                The market for tablets would be so much better if they hadn't stopped the sale Samsung Galaxy tablet damn you Apple
                It's only stopped in some countries - PC World had them in stock this week when I was in there.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                  I would wait a few months, it won't be long before Samsung or someone else brings out an iPad killer like the S2 did to iPhone. You will have the same hardware, but with a OS that doesn't lock down everything.
                  If you keep waiting, you'll always wait for the next big thing, because that will "kill" the previous best model....
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

The T3 tablet best buys are:
                    1. Amazon Kindle Fire
                    2. Asus Transformer Prime
                    3. Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
                    4. Motorola Xoom 2 Media Edition
                    5. Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch
                    6. Sony Tablet P
                    7. Samsung Galaxy Note
                    8. Apple iPad 2

It depends on what you want it to do, though.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X