• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn spiralling out of control

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LinkedIn spiralling out of control

Anyone notice a recent trend on LinkedIn for people's profiles to be spiralling out of control with job inflation, bulltulip and spin? Some of the stuff I'm seeing would even put MFs claimed exploits to shame.

Don't even start me on the "I'll say you are really great if you say I'm really great" feature on there.

Nobody believes anything they read on there now, surely?

Maybe I'm too English - I just can't bring myself to try and keep up with it.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

No can't say I have noticed.

I seem to be getting more enquiries these days for possible work based on my skill set. Had two requests for BI development last week, another for Project Manager , two for lion taming & someone with experience of BPM architecture onboard a galactic star cruiser.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      I seem to be getting more enquiries these days for possible work based on my skill set. Had two requests for BI development last week, another for Project Manager , two for lion taming & someone with experience of BPM architecture onboard a galactic star cruiser.

Comment

I was having a chat with a mate who works for a consultancy in the US. They are now creating/modifiying the LinkedIn profiles of their consultants and there is pressure on them to all get 'recs' for any work they do.

His profile now says he studied at Harvard, he did, it was a 3 day course and he went for day 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          I was having a chat with a mate who works for a consultancy in the US. They are now creating/modifiying the LinkedIn profiles of their consultants and there is pressure on them to all get 'recs' for any work they do.

His profile now says he studied at Harvard, he did, it was a 3 day course and he went for day 3.
          Linkedin is supposed to be the great silver bullet for finding passive job seekers
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

If it's not that it's dodgy agents want to friend you on LinkedIn so then can spam your contacts
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
              Don't even start me on the "I'll say you are really great if you say I'm really great" feature on there.
              Anyone tried Ecademy? I signed up once just to read an article, and they wouldn't let go.

Tremendous BSers, the lot of them. All the buzzwords you hate to hear, all on one site. One Yank reckoned he was so great I couldn't afford to pass up the opportunity of inviting him to speak to all my business associates. His self confidence was overwhelming. <snigger>

Every New Year's Eve for several years my inbox was filled with £££ off offers if I "upgrade tonight". Pathetic to watch really.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Anyone notice a recent trend on LinkedIn for people's profiles to be spiralling out of control with job inflation, bulltulip and spin? Some of the stuff I'm seeing would even put MFs claimed exploits to shame.

Nobody believes anything they read on there now, surely?

Maybe I'm too English - I just can't bring myself to try and keep up with it.
                I have noticed some contacts with way too many recommendations, I find it hard to take someone seriously if everyone and their dog has given them a recommendation.

At best I try and get 1 or two people from each gig if I can, I person who has managed me and I person I've managed.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I've noticed the LinkenIn machine has stepped up a gear every since the company went public. More pressure to buy into services I neither need or want.

I've got one job and a few leeds out of it, and I agree it remains a good place for like minded folks to be involved in a niche. However I wonder how easy it is for groups to become eroded with advertising and trolls and such like.

I'm very careful who I link with, agents don't even pass go. Not even the very pretty one from Canada.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

As a matter of principal I do not accept or publish recommendations from guys that I have recommended for that exact reason. Used properly its a good tool and in the future when I want a permanent role I will use it to target my victim.

Comment

Working...
                    X