• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scots offer to send water to aid drought-hit England

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scots offer to send water to aid drought-hit England

One of the most interesting forward planning ideas I've heard in a while. Make it happen people.

BBC News - Scots offer to send water to aid drought-hit England

The Scottish government has offered to provide water for drought-hit areas in the south of England.

But ministers admit there are huge logistical issues to be overcome before it could happen.

London's Mayor, Boris Johnson says water could be exported to the south of England via a series of canals.

But Scottish Infrastructure Minister, Alex Neil, has suggested harnessing it to work to build the High Speed Rail system (HS2).

He said: "The South of England is facing real issues with water supply, which look set to continue well into the future.

"With Scotland's plentiful supply of water and superb industry expertise it is only right we offer our assistance in the long term."

The Meteorological Office said the wettest place in Scotland was Cluanie Inn near Fort William which recorded 780 mm of rainfall in January and February 2012.

Restrictions
    By contrast, Colchester in Essex, England's wettest county, recorded just 554.9 mm throughout the whole of 2011.

A drought in the south east of England was declared as the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), which convened a summit of water companies, farmers and wildlife groups to discuss potential water shortages.

In the wake of that, residents in the south east were warned water restrictions such as hosepipe bans may be needed to ensure essential public supplies are maintained throughout the summer.

But getting water from the wet north to the dry south would involve major infrastructure works.

Boris Johnson's plan is based on a plan first proposed in 1942 by J F Pownall.

He suggested a canal could be built along a natural 'contour' down the spine of England, around the 300ft (100m) level, from the Scottish borders to the south east.

Mr Neil, has a more modern solution: "High Speed Rail may provide opportunities for joint working on the necessary infrastructure," he said.

"Our Hydro Nation agenda is ambitious and offers huge opportunities in this area. That means helping out others where possible, and I am willing to make that happen, if the UK Government is too."

However, his proposal may hit the buffers as the Westminster government's plans for HS2 see it running only between London and Birmingham.

To ensure water pipes laid alongside could carry surplus Scottish water would mean extending the railway to Scotland - something the SNP want, but which the UK coalition government has so far resisted.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

"But Scottish Infrastructure Minister, Alex Neil, has suggested harnessing it to work to build the High Speed Rail system (HS2). "

Under current plan if all goes well HS2 will reach Manchester in like 2037. Scotland probably in 22nd century.

Comment

More canals mean longer days out in the kayak for me!!
      I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
        More canals mean longer days out in the kayak for me!!
        Do you get any comments from fishermen whilst on the canals?
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          Do you get any comments from fishermen whilst on the canals?
          Plenty, but i have knife to cut the lines if they get arsey.

Comment

Absolutely; leatherman at the ready.

Comment

Nice try at getting something free, but:

Piping water from wet north to dry south has seemed like a good idea to a long line of people.

It was last considered seriously by the Environment Agency in 2006. The title of its report posed the question: "Do we need large-scale water transfers for south-east England?"

And the text gave the answer - no.

The most radical scheme would see five parallel pipes constructed, each 1.6m in diameter, bringing water from the northern Pennines to London.

But it would cost between five and eight times more than developing extra infrastructure in the south-east, they concluded.

BBC News - Drought summit as rivers in England dry up

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
                Absolutely; leatherman at the ready.
                Exactly WZS!

Comment

England is not 'drought hit'. Up here we've got millions of gallons of the stuff. We even have a whole area dedicated to it which we call The Lake District.

Cockneys are used to drinking their own recycled p1ss anyway. The rank taste is partly responsible for the accent.
                  Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

How nice of them to offer. It's not as if we're the same sovereign state or anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X