• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First contract - client won't renew

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First contract - client won't renew

My current contract finishes after a month. Have been told by manager that they won't renew as they have decide to offshore my work to cut the cost.

Was permanent for last 11 years. This was my first contract (6 months) and now I find it hard to believe I will have to start all over again.

What do you suggest to first time contractor to secure new contractor and do in between? I have already updated my CV and started circulating. I am on Linkedin and connected with all those consultants who have contacted me last 3-4 years.

Many thanks.

Originally posted by rdglad View Post
    My current contract finishes after a month. Have been told by manager that they won't renew as they have decide to offshore my work to cut the cost.

Was permanent for last 11 years. This was my first contract (6 months) and now I find it hard to believe I will have to start all over again.

What do you suggest to first time contractor to secure new contractor and do in between? I have already updated my CV and started circulating. I am on Linkedin and connected with all those consultants who have contacted me last 3-4 years.

Many thanks.
    Got my last 2 contracts via LinkedIn so worth persevering with.
    one day at a time

Comment

This was my first contract (6 months) and now I find it hard to believe I will have to start all over again.
      This is what contracting is all about. We're you hoping to get some 30 year contract to tide you by until retirement?
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

jobserve.com
        monster.co.uk
        Last edited by KentPhilip; 10 March 2012, 12:30.

Comment

Was permanent for last 11 years. This was my first contract (6 months) and now I find it hard to believe I will have to start all over again. .
          I go into each contract thinking I am only here for 6 months (or however long). I find it is a good way to focus my mind on delivering and not getting to worried about the political bulltulip.

Isnt it fun trying to find something new and exciting?

Comment

It's a necessary fag.

Done 35 now. Got used to it a long long time ago.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Many thanks.
              You've done the right first thing in updating your CV and cicrulating. Now apply, apply, apply and continually chase up to keep your name in agent's minds - use your personal and professional network. Not easy out there at the moment judging by what people say, but keep trying, keep smiling and something will turn up.

BOL.

Comment

Many thanks.
                Word of advice. When you're speaking with agencies, if they ask "why did you leave your last contract?", don't say things like "they wouldn't renew". This will sound like you're hiding something.

The answer should be something reassuring, like "the project was completed successfully".

Comment

Thanks to all who replied.

Comment

Many thanks.
                    Are you sure you are cut out for contracting?™

Hopefully you didn't blow your money so have built up a small war chest that will keep you going for a month or so until you get your next contract.
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X