• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electricity Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electricity Question

Now this may be an obvious question, but if an electrical appliance is plugged in to the socket and not turned on but the socket switch is, does this actually use electricity, ie will it increase my meter reading ?
    Last edited by kaiser78; 10 March 2012, 12:52.

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Now this may be an obvious question, but if an electrical appliance is plugged in to the socket and not turned on but the socket switch is, does this actually use electricity, ie will it increase my meter reading ?
    Yes for certain appliances according to these guys ... (consumption figures based on 1999 standards)
    Energy Myth: Appliances Use No Energy When Turned Off
    Last edited by mos; 10 March 2012, 13:02.
    If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      Generally no, but some do. I borrowed one of those plugs that tells you how much electricity something is using, and was surprised to see my kettle was using some even while not heating water. I think some chargers are guilty of it too.

Might be worth while borrowing one of those plugs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plug-In-Powe...1384345&sr=8-1

Came in useful when I was collocating a server too!

There's also a device called an Owl which constantly tells you what everything is using (as a total) in your home.

Comment

Cobblers. If something is switched off, i.e. by a switch, it's using no electricity whatsoever.

The issue is what does "off" really mean? If your TV is on standby, it's not really off, it's still using some power to keep the IR receiver circuitry active. A microwave with a clock is again not really off, but using power to display the clock. And phone charges and the like also don't have switches so will always be wasting a small amount of power. Modern PCs also use a small amount of power all the time. At the extreme end, Sky+ uses pretty much the same amount of power when "off" as it does when "on".

But something like a kettle with a physical on off switch is using zero electricity when off.

I've got one of those measuring plugs, and one interesting thing is that my CD player was using 5W on standby, but my 10 year old Pioneer stereo amp was using zero (i.e. less than it could read). It's because being a higher power device is has big relays that make a clunk when it switches on, so standby has to do nothing more than keep the infra-red receiver active. Which just shows how moronically simple it would be for manufacturers to solve this problem. My Sony LCD TV claims to be "green" because it has a motion sensor and switches itself "off" after 10 minutes of nobody being in the room, yet it still wastes 10W on standby. A simple relay circuit could reduce that to virtually zero, and still be able to wake itself up from the remote.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Cobblers. If something is switched off, i.e. by a switch, it's using no electricity whatsoever.

Modern PCs also use a small amount of power all the time.
          I know a chap who has a collection of old servers and when he did the measurements he was surprised how much they consumed when turned off by the switch on the computer. He installed switched power strips so that he can turn them off properly, and has made a good saving on his leccy bill.

I assume that since servers are designed to run full time, the manufacturers don't put any effort into ensuring low consumption when they are switched off.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            That must rank as the wrongest wrong thing ever posted on this site.
            It's so wrong, I dont even know where to start to rant on about its wrongness

wrong

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              That must rank as the wrongest wrong thing ever posted on this site.
              It's so wrong, I dont even know where to start to rant on about its wrongness

wrong

So if it's so wrong does that make it right?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Anyone measured their PC's power consumption when it's in hibernate/sleep mode? And what about peripherals, printer, screen, modem, etc. I imagine the modem/router add up to quite a bit as most people don't sleep or turn those off.

As for TV, etc on standby, I doubt it adds up to much and what is consumed heats the house a teensy bit at 100% efficiency.

Comment

TV's on standby, chargers plugged in (but no attached device), fridges purring, plugged in microwave ovens... all take a small amount of charge. Fortunately modern devices take less than the older stuff.

However, 6 LCD screens, 4 Dell servers, x1 I7 CPU Games Machine and x1 Dell workstation make that spinney leccy meter wheel spin so fast you could cut the finest Canadian timber with ease.

Kettles, lights, irons and tumble dryers take a massive hit though.
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

If the switch is on the inlet side of the psu and breaks the connection to the mains it won't use any electricity.

Most switches on consumer electronics aren't so most things use a bit. Standby use can vary from milliwatts to 20W or more. I've a dvd recorder that uses more power on standby that my htpc, tv, playstation, modem and wireless access point put together.

The best way to find out is to get a plugin power meter, they are £10 or £20 or so from maplins.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X