• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Halal Meat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halal Meat

Shocked last night, when visiting my usual chinese take away, they now have a big notice that all their meat is now "halal" - I apparently have no choice whether or not to have it, so I turned away and went elsewhere.

I am not happy that more and more outlets are using halal meat, I would prefer to choose to eat meat that has been reared as humanly as possible.

This makes me so mad
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Halal meat: the truth | Life and style | The Guardian

But at least they told you so you can make a choice.

Maybe do some research to onfirm your decision then go back and tell them why you won't be using them anymore? Though of course their taking may have gone up since the decision!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Halal meat: the truth | Life and style | The Guardian

But at least they told you so you can make a choice.

Maybe do some research to onfirm your decision then go back and tell them why you won't be using them anymore? Though of course their taking may have gone up since the decision!
      Sounds like he had a choice to me as well.

This one does the rounds now and again and it seems to be an election issue in France.

I expect we won't here much about kosher because we need to be clear who the enemy is and isn't in a way that doesn't recall too much historical unpleasantness.

As a vegetarian I find the whole thing a bit odd. Have a read if Fast Food Nation if you want to understand civilised animal slaughter.

Comment

Absolutely object to this.

If slaughter of animals in the UK has to be done humanely (and I get all the arguments about whether it is or not) then there must be no exceptions. Simples. If your religion demands otherwise then become veggie or leave.

It is unfair to require slaughter houses to become halal (or kosher or other) just to compete. If they all go this route then there is no point having slaughter regulations in the first place.
        Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

They need a description such as 'Calm Halal' to indicate meat that is stunned prior to Slaughter.

I would have no objection to that, its the idea of the animal being aware and the possible pain that disturbs me. I have no objection on religious grounds. But its spread suggests that the 10% ethnic minority is an underestimation.

It is however endemic our school wanted to convert to Halal meat.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

They're just animal.

It's no worse than battery farming.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
              They're just animal.

I don't go for those new green Duracell ones.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

This method of slaughtering animals consists of using a well sharpened knife to make a swift, deep incision that cuts the front of the throat, the carotid artery, wind pipe and jugular veins but leaves the spinal cord intact
                If that's too 'real' for you, maybe you should be a veggie. Isn't this very similar to how a hunter would slaughter an animal in the wild when he doesn't have gun?

Couldn't GAS if it tastes nice.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  If that's too 'real' for you, maybe you should be a veggie. Isn't this very similar to how a hunter would slaughter an animal in the wild when he doesn't have gun?

Couldn't GAS if it tastes nice.
                  That's an honest stance I can respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                    They're just animal.

And Mahatma Ghandi said the greatness of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals.

Shameful. No objection to people having the freedom to practicing their religion but it must be within the parameters acceptable to the host culture.

This is clearly NOT within those parameters.

And shame on that apologist writing for the Guardian by claiming that it's the mozzie haters at the DM perpetuating a myth that Halal is cruel.

90% don't get stunned and the stunning, when performed, is a light stunning such that the animal is normally conscious when the cut is made.

And shame on the Guardian for publishing the story.

Comment

Working...
                    X