• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This doesn't bear thnking about.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This doesn't bear thnking about.

Metalworkers cooked to death inside giant Austrian oven after door closed and 800C furnace was accidentally switched on | Mail Online

What a way to go.

Do they not have safety padlocks and interlocks in Austria?

I'm no fan of 'Elf & Safetea, but really.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 15 May 2017, 08:11.

I'm just impressed the daily fail avoided mentioning the war
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Now detectives say the two men who had been sent inside to clean the oven had actually finished the job and left before returning a second time without informing colleagues.

They also failed to instigate any of the four security measures including putting up a sign indicating that they were inside, and also failing to secure the door so that it stayed open.

As a result the door had somehow swung shut and the colleague, believing the cleaning work had finished because he had already seen his colleagues outside and noting the door was closed, had switched the oven on.
      Sounds like it was less a case of corporate manslaughter and more a couple of contenders for a Darwin award.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

There's a shrimp and barbecue joke in there somewhere.

Comment

Been shut inside the cyclcone at a cement works once. We had all the safety notices, door latches secured ect but I still worried someone might start the kiln up.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Were the colleagues Jewish? A remember a certain Austrian doing this circa 1938-1945.
            <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

I remember working on a steel rolling mill clambering around inside on the rollers just before they wanted to start it when suddenly the coolant started gushing.

That was scary....

That was a little practical joke from the mill operators as a hint that maybe I should get off.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Now detectives say the two men who had been sent inside to clean the oven had actually finished the job and left before returning a second time without informing colleagues.
                It sickens me how the company it trying to shift the blame on these poor souls
                If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by mos View Post
                  PHP Code:
                  Now detectives say the two men who had been sent inside to clean the oven had actually finished the job and left before returning a second time without informing colleagues
                  It sickens me how the company it trying to shift the blame on these poor souls
                  Nothing sickening about it, they NEED to establish fault to decide what they can learn from it, and if the company was negligent.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Nothing sickening about it, they NEED to establish fault to decide what they can learn from it, and if the company was negligent.
                    So it looks that they did not have to learn anything after all - it was all the fault of those dead workers. Yeah ?
                    If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Working...
                    X