• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

never use .com

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

never use .com

Never choose a US .com .net or .org etc domain otherwise it may get you in real trouble.
    Verisign has issued a statement to The INQUIRER regarding ICE's claims that it has jurisdiction over all .com and .net domain names based on the fact that Verisign, the internet registry in charge of .com and .net TLDs, is a US-based firm.In it the firm states that it cooperates with law enforcement authorities when presented with a court order.
    Source: The Inquirer (US claims all .com and .net websites are in its jurisdiction - The Inquirer)

BBC News - TVShack website: Petition in support of Richard O'Dwyer

The Sheffield Hallam University student said he was "surprised" when police officers from the UK and America seized equipment at his home in South Yorkshire in November 2010.

The case was brought by the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, which claims that the TVShack.net website earned "over $230,000 in advertising revenue" before US authorities obtained a warrant and seized the domain name in June 2010.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Paddy is right - don't use .COM or .NET if you intend to do things for which in US you might end up in jail for.

Other than that it's fine to use them.

Comment

I wonder if it would make you more easily sued over, say, copyright infringement by your own content or damage by a download?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

AtW maybe you could generate a new income stream if you registered majestic12.xxx?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The xxx domain is far too expensive for lewd websites to adopt. Don't see the point in it unless it comes down in price.

Comment

Working...
          X