• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dog advice....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog advice....

...so, I want to get a dog. I am in the process of moving to somewhere much more rural and am also going to change my car to accommodate said pooch.

Much as I'd like to get a puppy to train myself, and for my little boy to get to know - I'm not sure that's a realistic aim given it's me on my own, and I work full time.

So, I'm wondering whether a slightly older (as in, a year old or so), already trained doggy, might fit the bill. But if so, I've no idea what breed to go for. I want to be a responsible dog owner, but it's difficult to ascertain what sort of dog would work for us. I would like a decent sized dog, and preferably something that won't malt. I don't like labs particularly.

So - you lot. What dogs do you have?! Is it a bad idea to get a dog that's not a puppy - i.e. an animal that I haven't been involved with from the beginning?
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

I think Churchill is for sale - why not ask CailinMaith?

Comment

Isn't a kid enough MP?!
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Isn't a kid enough MP?!
        Seems not...! I like the idea of feeling a bit more secure alone in the house, and it will be good for child to understand the responsibility of a pet.

Plus, it will help me pick up men.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          She probably wants a dog that doesn't bark it's head off for most of the day before eventually pissing itself.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Can you imagine the soiling?

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              I like the idea of feeling a bit more secure alone in the house
              Then either get a small dog that will bark like hell or a large aggressive dog that can handle itself.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              Plus, it will help me pick up men.

Comment

What about a retired guide dog?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  She probably wants a dog that doesn't bark it's head off for most of the day before eventually pissing itself.
                  Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Can you imagine the soiling?
                  On the other hand Churchill is very good with small children. I am not quite sure how he will respond to MP using him to pick up men though.....

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    What about a retired guide dog?
                    That's what the men will have, but what about MP?

Comment

Working...
                    X