• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: £2.8m award for prisoner who tried to kill himself

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: £2.8m award for prisoner who tried to kill himself

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...187711,00.html

"COMPENSATION payments to prisoners have doubled in the last year to more than £4 million, while the total legal bill to the Prison Service has reached £20 million a year, The Times has learnt.
    The total litigation bill is enough to run one of the large jails in England and Wales.

One prisoner received £2.8 million compensation after a failed suicide attempt, which is equal to the previous prison service record payout in 2002.

The payment was made in an out-of-court settlement to a prisoner who self-harmed and claimed for miscellaneous injury against the Prison Service. The service estimates that the costs alone of the case will be more than £1 million.

It is understood that a large proportion of the cash payout is a recognition that the inmate requires long-term medical care.

",

where's John Galt, he'll love this one.

Milan.

He's just exploded

Comment

How's it going Shim,

is the missus giving you more (ahem) attention (ahem) these days ?

Milan.

Comment

Mind your own bloody business young whippersnapper!

Speaking of whippersnappers, did I let on that I now have 2 of the little blighters? More .NET contracts needed now I tell ya, no more dreaming

Comment

good for you lad,

get that family allowance in while you can

.Net is great isn't it, projects just roll on and on, mine's just been extended to the end of the year.

Up the .Net

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
            good for you lad,

get that family allowance in while you can

Milan.
            I know a contractor who is claiming tax credits on the basis of his low income - i.e. not counting the dividends - the money goes straight into the kids account & they have a tidy sum already.

Is this allowed? does anyone else do this? me... Mr Sqeaky clean declares all income on tax return

Comment

If you're separated or divorced only the principal carer can claim ALL the tax credits regardless of how much time the non-resident parent has the children. Apparently, the principal carer can then choose to give a proportion of said tax credit to the NRP to make up for it. I'd say the chances of that are fairly low!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
              X