• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Govt to force handover of encryption keys

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Govt to force handover of encryption keys

Just in case this hasn't been commented on already...

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39269746,00.htm

It seems no aspect of our lives will be free from the prying eyes of the state.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Don't understand why they only brought in part of part 3 and not the whole shooting match. Doing it in this way is just certain to piss of the city security guys. Suicidal for UK plc if they decide to wander the security divisions somewhere sensible like, say, København.

Oh, I'm here already... bring it on!
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Haven't we been here before? There was a lot of discussion around the time RIPA came into being about trusted third parties and key escrow as govt weren't considered trustworthy (really!?).

Some interesting comments from Richard Clayton et al...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

The nasty Liebour Gov't slowly moving another step toward denying innocent people's privacy. More control freakery.

If the Police want to intercept/bug phone calls or postage they're normally required to seek a warrant from a Judge, presenting evidence or justifiable reason for requesting such.

Should it not be a Judge/court who demands encryption keys where the Judge feels the authorities have demonstrated just cause ?

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
          Should it not be a Judge/court who demands encryption keys where the Judge feels the authorities have demonstrated just cause ?
          But Bob, this government is, by degrees, emasculating the judiciary.

Soon the courts will be just another arm of the all-powerful NL state.

Given the forthcoming legislation (the so called 'Abolition of Parliament Act') that allows any minister (or any govt whip) to arbitrarily change any law on the statute books, or declare 'emergencies' during which basic rights such as travel, protest and public assembly are denied, it's hard to see what the courts and judiciary can do about it.

How long before they get to 'burning down the Reichstag' I wonder?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Bogeyman I agree with you entirely and I appreciate your reminding everyone of Nasty Liebour's contempt for an autonomous judiciary. This nasty & deceitful Liebour Gov't is constantly seeking new ways to remove the autonomy of the judiciary and thereby throwing away extremely hard won protections for the decent law abiding majority.

Whenever we look at numerous 2nd and 3rd world countries paralysed by corruption and unaccountable law enforcement, you will always find their judiciary in hoc to the Government, rather than autonomous from it.

Nasty Liebour's conscience & policies in this regard are either cynically evil or downright incompetant but probably both.
            Last edited by BobTheCrate; 19 May 2006, 12:13.

Comment

Best not forget your password: that's two years in chokey under the penalties in part 3.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
                Nasty Liebour's conscience & policies in this regard are either cynically evil or downright incompetant but probably both.
                Yes. I don't think that one necessarily precludes the other: NL are both stupid and malicious.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
                  Yes. I don't think that one necessarily precludes the other: NL are both stupid and malicious.
                  Yes I thought about that before including it.

The cabinet plans are nasty, deceitful and cynically calculating. The implementation for the most part incompetant ... along with the Liebour backbench support for them.

Comment

needed to combat an increased use of encryption by criminals, paedophiles, and terrorists
                    Usual old strings being pulled. Who can possibly object to protecting children etc.?
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X