• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Encyclopaedia Britannica out of print

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Encyclopaedia Britannica out of print

Encyclopaedia Britannica Ceases Publication - Yahoo! News UK

Oh well, it was nice whilst it lasted.

At least this is still in print.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fly-Fishing-...1733017&sr=1-1

Comment

A fellow student of mine flogged EB during her summer holidays. It was a bit of a scam really, as they sold to poor families who probably didn't have a cat in hell's chance of paying for it, on the grounds of giving their kids an education.

When I looked at their online version a few years ago, it was so Javascript laden it was virtually unusable.

You could get decent info out of it if you scraped it with JS turned off though
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Yet another thread with nothing but a link to a newspage we are probably all more than well aware of already. Bravo.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Wikipedia by now must make E B look like a shopping list, length-wise. A printed version with volumes on a shelf a-la E B would probably be a hundred yards long or more. And of course, unlike E B, they can keep it bang up to date.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Wikipedia by now must make E B look like a shopping list, length-wise. A printed version with volumes on a shelf a-la E B would probably be a hundred yards long or more. And of course, unlike E B, they can keep it bang up to date.
            Difference being you could trust the content of E B having at least some factual basis.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              I was sorely tempted to buy a 1970s edition from a charity shoppe, but managed to control myself.
              Get married instead, wives know everything.

Comment

I spent a few hours emptying book shelves this week, to make space in the spare room.

All those windows,vba,vb etc books that cost me a fortune - all gone.

I Clavdivs, Spartacus by Howard Fast, Asimov - all gone

the web is the future

you heard it here first

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Mother bought a set when we were teenagers. Sold them about 10 years ago - stuck them in local paper for £20. Sold straight away and had dozens of calls, so no idea what we could have got for them.

Comment

Working...
                  X