• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top Goldman executive quits over culture of 'toxic' greed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Goldman executive quits over culture of 'toxic' greed

Greg Smith, who is resigning today as a Goldman Sachs executive director and head of its US equity derivatives business in Europe, the Middle East and Africa after 12 years, wrote:

"I can honestly say that the environment now is as toxic and destructive as I have ever seen it. To put the problem in the simplest terms, the interests of the client continue to be sidelined in the way the firm operates and thinks about making money."

In his article titled Why I Am Leaving Goldman Sachs he writes that over the past twelve months he had seen five different managing directors refer to their own clients as “muppets”, sometimes over internal e-mail.

"I attend derivatives sales meetings where not one single minute is spent asking questions about how we can help clients. It’s purely about how we can make the most possible money off of them. If you were an alien from Mars and sat in on one of these meetings, you would believe that a client’s success or progress was not part of the thought process at all."

Mr Smith said that the bank was "too integral to global finance to continue to act this way". Is the 'Why I'm leaving' letter a PR disaster for Goldman Sachs?

When he joined the culture revolved around "teamwork, integrity, a spirit of humility, and doing right by our clients", he writes.

"The culture was the secret sauce that made this place great and allowed us to earn our clients’ trust for 143 years ... I am sad to say that I look around today and see virtually no trace of the culture that made me love working for this firm for many years.

"... These days, the most common question I get from junior analysts about derivatives is, 'How much money did we make off the client?' It bothers me every time I hear it, because it is a clear reflection of what they are observing from their leaders about the way they should behave.

"Now project 10 years into the future: You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that the junior analyst sitting quietly in the corner of the room hearing about 'muppets', 'ripping eyeballs out' and 'getting paid' doesn’t exactly turn into a model citizen."

Mr Smith believes the decline in the firm’s moral fibre represents the single most serious threat to its long-run survival and see his article as a wake-up call to the board of directors.

Responding to the article, Goldman Sachs said:

"We disagree with the views expressed, which we don't think reflect the way we run our business. In our view, we will only be successful if our clients are successful. This fundamental truth lies at the heart of how we conduct ourselves."

Source: Top Goldman executive quits over culture of 'toxic' greed - Telegraph

Disgusting greedy fookers.

Should I buy or short their stock?

Comment

I wonder how much money he stashed away before writing that?

Its very odd someone should speak the truth about the city - has he had a trauma in his personal life or something?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Its very odd someone should speak the truth about the city - has he had a trauma in his personal life or something?
        Perhaps he has got conscience?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Greg Smith, who is resigning today as a Goldman Sachs executive director and head of its US equity derivatives business in Europe, the Middle East and Africa after 12 years, wrote:

"I can honestly say that the environment now is as toxic and destructive as I have ever seen it. To put the problem in the simplest terms, the interests of the client continue to be sidelined in the way the firm operates and thinks about making money."

In his article titled Why I Am Leaving Goldman Sachs he writes that over the past twelve months he had seen five different managing directors refer to their own clients as “muppets”, sometimes over internal e-mail.

"I attend derivatives sales meetings where not one single minute is spent asking questions about how we can help clients. It’s purely about how we can make the most possible money off of them. If you were an alien from Mars and sat in on one of these meetings, you would believe that a client’s success or progress was not part of the thought process at all."

Mr Smith said that the bank was "too integral to global finance to continue to act this way". Is the 'Why I'm leaving' letter a PR disaster for Goldman Sachs?

When he joined the culture revolved around "teamwork, integrity, a spirit of humility, and doing right by our clients", he writes.

"The culture was the secret sauce that made this place great and allowed us to earn our clients’ trust for 143 years ... I am sad to say that I look around today and see virtually no trace of the culture that made me love working for this firm for many years.

"... These days, the most common question I get from junior analysts about derivatives is, 'How much money did we make off the client?' It bothers me every time I hear it, because it is a clear reflection of what they are observing from their leaders about the way they should behave.

"Now project 10 years into the future: You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that the junior analyst sitting quietly in the corner of the room hearing about 'muppets', 'ripping eyeballs out' and 'getting paid' doesn’t exactly turn into a model citizen."

Mr Smith believes the decline in the firm’s moral fibre represents the single most serious threat to its long-run survival and see his article as a wake-up call to the board of directors.

Responding to the article, Goldman Sachs said:

"We disagree with the views expressed, which we don't think reflect the way we run our business. In our view, we will only be successful if our clients are successful. This fundamental truth lies at the heart of how we conduct ourselves."

Source: Top Goldman executive quits over culture of 'toxic' greed - Telegraph

Substitute the words "Goldman Sachs" with "your average contractor"
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            Substitute the words "Goldman Sachs" with "your average agent"
            FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              FTFY

I wanted to get my retaliation in first
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

12 years? only 12 years? I wish I had a time machine and could go back to the Age of Innocence.

Anyway I see there was another high-profile resignation today.
                Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

'How much money did we make off the client?'

Sadly not just limited to Goldman Sachs and banking but it includes solicitors, Barristers, RICS and Town Councils. A retired solicitor friend told me that he was glad to get of it because it was no longer a profession and all about money
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Sadly not just limited to Goldman Sachs and banking but it includes solicitors, Barristers, RICS and Town Councils. A retired solicitor friend told me that he was glad to get of it because it was no longer a profession and all about money
                    At least the police isn't in it.

Comment

Working...
                    X