• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you sharpen knives?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you sharpen knives?

I usually end up with one or two of those gadgets that you pull a knife through that are carp, and fancy trying a wet stone. Anyone use a knife sharpening stone? Saw one in Poundland a few Moons ago and am kicking myself for not buying it as they don't have them now.

Who do you want to knife? Put the knife down and step away from the knife...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Who do you want to knife? Put the knife down and step away from the knife...
      I just fancy a really sharp knife for chopping vegetables and stuff. Mine are usually pretty blunt and chipped from those tulip knife sharpener things.

Comment

get yourself a knife steel or go cheap and get a wet stone and sharpen away my friend

here's an idiots giude from Global knives on how to go about it
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Well I bought a wet stone today in a normal shop, so paid top prices: £3.95. Impression is pretty good. My knives are sharper than I've known them in a long while, but they didn't quite pass the Ray Mears test. That's where he sharpened his axe and sliced a sheet of A4 paper with it while just holding the sheet loosely. But my knives probably only cost £1 or so and with a slight initial sawing action slice through the sheet nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Well I bought a wet stone today in a normal shop, so paid top prices: £3.95. Impression is pretty good. My knives are sharper than I've known them in a long while, but they didn't quite pass the Ray Mears test. That's where he sharpened his axe and sliced a sheet of A4 paper with it while just holding the sheet loosely. But my knives probably only cost £1 or so and with a slight initial sawing action slice through the sheet nicely.
            Well you could have saved £3.95; all you need is a piece of broken pottery, china or porcelain; swipe the knife (dry) across the rough edge two or three times.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I use a 250/1000 synthetic waterstone and a cheap (only £70) 1000/8000 natural japanese waterstone. 250 for the bevel, 1000 to sharpen it and 8000 to put a mirror finish on. I sold my chefs choice electronic diamond sharpening machine on ebay as it couldn't come close.

Steels are really for maintaining an edge, not putting one on, although the diamond ones are about 800-1000 grit and will sharpen quite well. I don't use mine anymore though, it just roughs up the mirror polish.
              Last edited by doodab; 15 March 2012, 20:09.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I sharpen my meat cleaver with the bottom of an old cup.

Comment

Originally posted by ementalo View Post
                  I sharpen my meat cleaver with the bottom of an old cup.
                  Can anyone interpret that euphemism?

Comment

Working...
                  X