• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One thing that's been bothering me ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing that's been bothering me ...

..why can't people from Bridgwater spell correctly? Where's the 'e' FFS?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    it's by gum
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Why can't you spell correctly? Its not sasguru its assguru.

Comment

The name comes from the burg of water. So now't to do with bridges, and even worse spelling than you first thought.

Comment

In the beginning, Bridgwater was simply called Brigg, a Saxon word for quayside, for that was really all there was.
          So the Bridg part of Bridgwater never had an ‘e’ on the end. Then when William the Conqueror came over in 1066, the land was divided amongst the French conquerors.
          Brigg was allocated to Walter from Douai in France, and so the town became ‘Brigg of Walter’, or Briggwalter. And so we can now recognise that it is the ‘l’ from Walter which is missing and not the ‘e’ from Bridgwater.
          HTH
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Must hav bean named wen i woz workin four the town cowncil

Comment

Working...
            X