• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got Job without reference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got Job without reference

Hi All,

This query is on behalf of friend of mine who just got a new Permie job. I don’t know what’s the best post/forum to post this question but I have found this forum very helpful. If it’s not appropriate question then my apologies.
    He said everything went ok apart from the fact that the new employer didn’t asked for any references. Not even to my mate.

But I find it strange that you hire someone (esp. in permie. role) don’t ask for any reference at all. Does anyone have this kind of experience before?

ta

happens all the time with contracting

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by acontractor View Post
      Hi All,

This query is on behalf of friend of mine who just got a new Permie job. I don’t know what’s the best post/forum to post this question but I have found this forum very helpful. If it’s not appropriate question then my apologies.
      He said everything went ok apart from the fact that the new employer didn’t asked for any references. Not even to my mate.

But I find it strange that you hire someone (esp. in permie. role) don’t ask for any reference at all. Does anyone have this kind of experience before?

ta
      A reference nowadays contains the statement x worked him from april x to Feb x. For legal reasons saying anything more is a nightmare so unless explicitly required to no one will say anything.

As such many companies don't bother.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        happens all the time with contracting

Milan.
        I know it does with contracting but does anyone have any experience with this happening with Permie role?

Comment

Its happens with some companies who cannot find suitable candidates and when they do find someone they want to use their own judgement rather than waste time trying to get references. Most of the big consultancies etc outsource reference bits to third party where its quite rigorous with a lot of background check including your degree education and former employers going back 10 years.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            A reference nowadays contains the statement x worked him from april x to Feb x. For legal reasons saying anything more is a nightmare so unless explicitly required to no one will say anything.

As such many companies don't bother.
            Yes. Instead they spend a lot more effort vetting candidates.

At my current client a bog-standard employee has to do two interviews, both with a 'board' of two or more people, in two separate visits. Then they do a job-related test, plus a half-hour "coffee meeting" with the team they would be working with, who suss them out. Plus the usual CRB checks etc. Probably Facebook checks too.

And if someone leaves, they don't just assign their deputy or a team mate, they put the job into Human Resources to recruit someone. Existing employees can apply like anyone else from outside.

Comment

Hi All,

ta
              when i was permie i gave references several times but only one company ever took them up

Comment

I know it does with contracting but does anyone have any experience with this happening with Permie role?
                The references will be required for high risk roles and all the roles within regulated financial institutions.
                If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Yes. Instead they spend a lot more effort vetting candidates.

At my current client a bog-standard employee has to do two interviews, both with a 'board' of two or more people, in two separate visits. Then they do a job-related test, plus a half-hour "coffee meeting" with the team they would be working with, who suss them out. Plus the usual CRB checks etc. Probably Facebook checks too.

And if someone leaves, they don't just assign their deputy or a team mate, they put the job into Human Resources to recruit someone. Existing employees can apply like anyone else from outside.
                  Can't see how that helps anyone. If I am looking to move jobs I want 1 maybe 2 interviews at max followed by a 3 month probation. Every time I have to go and see you I am wasting my time having to make an excuse as to why I am leaving work...

IMO CMG had the best interview technique done and dusted in a single day.

Starts with what was euphemistically called arms and legs. i.e presentable to a customer no obvious piercings or tattoos and knows how to dress etc.
                  If you passed A&L, then you had a one hour test.
                  If you pass the test you go into a meeting with some of your peers to talk shop.
                  If you could go an hour without them thinking you were a cock, you went on to an interview with your director who had a recommendation for your worth and an indication to employ you
                  He would expect you to barter for your wages and package.

He would give you your contract and joining pack there and then and you had the night to make a decision.

Last part of the test was lunch on the first day. you were taken out with your directors and got absolutely rat arsed, fed as much as you were dumb enough to drink. Then you had to be at your desk and sobre by 9 the next day. If you didn't make it in, You got a lesson in lunch time abstinence and banned from entertaining clients.

Comment

Sorry Bob, I just re-read what I wrote and it's a bit misleading. I meant two separate visits in total, the stuff other than interviews is carried out on the second of those.

And this was for permie, as a contractor I just had a single interview.

Comment

Working...
                    X