• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EDS targets UK ID cards contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDS targets UK ID cards contract

Troubled computer company EDS is tipped to take “a big slice” of the multi-billion-pound ID cards contract to produce and supply biometric cards for every Briton by 2008.

The US IT contractor is reportedly engaging in behind the scenes negotiation with officials at the Home Office charged with delivering one of the biggest government technology deals ever.

Disclosures obtained by The Business and The Observer suggest ministers are alarmed over the likely selection of EDS, following IT disasters at the Inland Revenue, the Department for Work and Pensions and the Child Support Agency.

Despite past performance, executives at Electronic Data Systems say they are confident the company can bounce back to manage the biometric cards programme after winning similar “smart card” schemes with London Underground, the US government and the Ugandan government.

***“ID cards are a competency of EDS,”*** said Doug Hoover, managing director, EDS UK. “We feel that we have some solutions and some capabilities. It is safe to say we would look at it.”

==========================================
    excellent. hands up, anybody who can't see this one coming. this ought to offer no little reassurance to those who have no desire to see such a system implemented here.

i think that anybody daft enough to take doug's words at face value is a prize buffoon and should be made to personally underwrite the coming fiasco to the tune of however many billions of taxpayer's cash this particular pantomime going to swallow up..

The US IT contractor is reportedly engaging in behind the scenes negotiation with officials at the Home Office
    I think they are also known as bribes in some countries.

Yes EDS will "win" this contract. Which is great news because it means the ID cards will be delayed for about 15 yrs and by that time, perhaps the New Lie will be history.

Will waste a few billion that might have been spent on health or education for the masses though...:rolleyes

Comment

Oh God!! If they put Neo on this we're all in trouble!!!

Comment

EDS...

Ah well, prepare for another complete feck-up!

Comment

Let's be honest here, EDS, NL and the Civil Service are a perfect match.

Comment

Who here is going to hand over £300 for something I don't want, don't believe in and probably don't even work?

Do you think there will be a big rebellion by the people over this one? Forced down your throat by police at gunpoint? Anyone who refuses is branded a terrorist and shot?

Comment

wouldn't mind a contract on that could pay well knowing our governments use of tax payer money

Comment

Who here is going to hand over £300 for something I don't want, don't believe in and probably don't even work?
                I'm used to that; I'm married :rolleyes

Comment

Bargain

You must have the cheapest wife in the western world, Slave. Have you off-shored her?

Comment

Re: Bargain

You must have the cheapest wife in the western world, Slave. Have you off-shored her?
                    No, Lucifer. I got her on a 0% interest for 2 years deal. That period is nearly over and already the diamonds, flash car and Buckinghamshire mansion are being discussed

Comment

Working...
                    X