• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

think I need to get married

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

think I need to get married

Well me and the missus have been together nearly 10 years and have never bothered getting married but looking since I'm being battered by higher rate tax on div's etc it looks like I'm missing out on some significant savings from giving her a share of the company. She doesn't work so we may as well use her allowance!

Any advice?

You don't have to be married to someone to give them a share of your company.

Comment

Can't you just use her allowance without getting married?

If you want to get married then get married. My first was dire - my second is brilliant! But, IMO, get married for the right reasons.

Comment

Don't get me wrong it's not that I don't want to, we have a kid everything is good I guess we've both been of the opinion that it's not going to change anything. It does however appear that this government doesn't think the same way

My understanding of S660 is there is an exemption for spouses or same-sex partnerships to allow you to share the rewards of husband/wife businesses. I don't think that applies if you're not married.

Comment

It does give you next of kin rights, spousal inheritance rights (you can get these w/o be married, but you have to arrange it). Tax-wise, there's no inheritance tax between spouses and you can income shift. Finally, it's a legally recognised relationship, which can be important under certains circumstances - like it used to be in CH that a spouse would automatically get a resident permit, but a long-term girlfriend, even the mother of your child, wouldn't.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Oh, the romance of all
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Don't get married.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                Oh, the romance of all
                WPS.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  It does give you next of kin rights, spousal inheritance rights (you can get these w/o be married, but you have to arrange it). Tax-wise, there's no inheritance tax between spouses and you can income shift. Finally, it's a legally recognised relationship, which can be important under certains circumstances - like it used to be in CH that a spouse would automatically get a resident permit, but a long-term girlfriend, even the mother of your child, wouldn't.
                  Your spouse cannot be made to testify against you in court.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Except that income shifting between spouses has been attacked by the revenue retrospectively redefining what S660 means
                    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                    X