• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour complain about Boris Johnson Twitter 'swap'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labour complain about Boris Johnson Twitter 'swap'

No, it's not what you thought.

The account now links to the Back Boris 2012 website instead of the City Hall website, London.gov.uk - Greater London Authority, Mayor of London, London Assembly, as before.

The move - on the first official day of the mayoral election campaign - means the account's 253,000 followers have also migrated to Mr Johnson.

Mr Johnson's campaign said those who wished to could 'unfollow' the account.

The vote for London mayor will be held on 3 May.

Hijack'

On Tuesday, Conservative incumbent Mr Johnson tweeted: "Day 1 of official election period! No City Hall resources in use, so all Tweets until 3 May are from my phone or @BackBoris2012 team."

He has since written about campaigning in the London borough of Bexley.

But the decision to transfer the account has provoked criticism on Twitter, including from fellow candidate for mayor Liberal Democrat Brian Paddick.

He wrote: "Is Boris Johnson so inept at drumming up support he needs to hijack @MayorOfLondon? Cheap trick, #handitbackboris."
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

Rest assured that the account is still - and has always been - controlled by Boris”

Statement, Back Boris 2012 campaign

Labour Party London Assembly member Len Duvall has written to Ed Williams, monitoring officer for the Greater London Authority's Standards Committee, to complain.

"My understanding is that this Twitter account was established by the Authority and belongs to the Office of the Mayor of London, and has been maintained since its inception by GLA resources," he wrote.

"As such, this account does not belong to the current Mayor of London, Boris Johnson. Can you quickly establish the facts and intervene on this abuse and misuse of resources in undertaking this transfer.

"If it is found this is a personal account, it has featured on a number of GLA and mayoral publications and I would expect the organisation to be reimbursed the full sum that have been spent on this personal and political campaigning."

A GLA spokesperson said: "Boris Johnson has decided it would not be appropriate during the pre-election period for him to be tweeting as Mayor of London.

"He has therefore made it clear to all his followers that he will now be tweeting under his own name outside of City Hall.

"Anyone who no longer wishes to follow his tweets will be reminded repeatedly that they can unsubscribe with one click of the mouse.

"@mayoroflondon can be revived by whoever is elected on May 3."

Ownership

A spokeswoman for the Electoral Commission said there were no specific rules relating to the re-branding of Twitter accounts or the inheritance of followers.

But she said any money spent on the account from now on would have to be published in Mr Johnson's campaign expenses.

Mark Dennis, intellectual property lawyer at Taylor Wessing, told the BBC: "The question is who owns the account.

"If Boris Johnson was posting the tweets himself, as appears to have been the case, he may have a good argument that it is his own private account.

"Alternatively, if the feed was operated and resourced by City Hall employees, there may be a case to argue against this."

Asked whether Mr Johnson had personally written all the tweets published under the @MayorOfLondon name, a GLA spokeswoman said: "It's the authentic voice of the mayor. That's what we say."

In 2009, Mr Johnson was given guidance by the GLA after a member of the public complained about a tweet sent from the mayor's account celebrating the Sun newspaper's decision to back the Conservatives for the forthcoming general election.

In deciding the complaint, the GLA said it was "not clear" whether or not the tweet was written by him, but said it was "clear that it was written by or on behalf of the Mayor of London, as the hyperlink to the Twitter account was found on the Mayor of London page on the GLA website".

In respect of all acts complained about, Mr Johnson, the Mayor of London, was clearly acting in his official capacity, and was therefore required to comply with the GLA's Code of Conduct," it added.

---

Seems very unethical at best and surely it's something related to his current official position then he should not be using it to gain unfair advantage in elections?

Definitely an own goal. Even if it turns out he did fund it, its attached to the office by name. Lets hope its an 'administrative oversight' that can be fixed.

Fairest way out would be to return it and twitter everyone from it all the candidates twitter names.

Maybe to even up he should offer NewtFace in recompense

@TaxHyprocrite-NewtWorrier.

That way he would have his own instantly recognisable brand.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Has he changed the name? You can change an @ name whenever you want.

If he's changed it from @MayorOfLondon to @BorisJohnson or whatever then that's not quite so bad, but it was wrong from the start to use a personal account with an official title. Most of his followers will have expected to be following the office, not the incumbent.

Comment

Who would want to follow either?

Comment

The official response is that he changed it today because it wouldn't be appropriate to tweet as @mayoroflondon whilst in the election period.

Who ever wins can have @mayoroflondon back apparently.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I've got @interferingtaxraisingcunts on offer for any of the so called troughing victors?
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Boris Johnson backs down over mayoral Twitter account | Politics | The Guardian

Good decision. Did somebody teach him good/bad stuff in whatever elite school he attended?

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                The official response is that he changed it today because it wouldn't be appropriate to tweet as @mayoroflondon whilst in the election period.

Who ever wins can have @mayoroflondon back apparently.
                The problem being that all the followers will still be following his account. Hence my comment that it was wrong for him to have used an official title for a personal account.

He should surrender that account and all its followers to the care of the office of the Mayor of London pending the election so it can then be used by the next incumbent, whether that be him or not.

To have used public funds to promote that account to the people of London as an official source of information about what their mayor is up to and then, when an election comes around, simply switch it to promote his own campaign for re-election is utterly corrupt. If it had been Ken Livingstone doing that I bet a good few here would be up in arms about it
                Last edited by NickFitz; 21 March 2012, 01:16.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  He should surrender to the local police station and hand over his silver spoon as well as access codes to all online acccount he's accumulated so far
                  FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Good decision. Did somebody teach him good/bad stuff in whatever elite school he attended?

Indeed. These scumbags don't think in terms of right or wrong when it comes to their own actions; their attitude is "Let's try it on and, if it doesn't work, claim it was a mistake" - not a defence they tolerated in last year's rioters as I recall.

I didn't attend such an exalted school as Eton but I did, thanks to the eleven-plus, receive a public school education. Morality was pretty much relegated to the school chaplains as something with which to fill up RE lessons.

However they were big on discipline and authority, with an implicit understanding that when one had been granted power one could do whatever one liked within reason, as long as one didn't abuse that power... and get caught. If one did get caught, one would still get away with things with a display of contrition, because the powers that be couldn't make an issue of it as they had given you the power in the first place and it would reflect badly on their judgement.

Understand that environment, and you can understand why so many politicians (of any party; Blair was just the same as Boris or Cameron in this respect) really are bewildered and don't understand why they are held to account for stuff. That attitude of "But you caught me and I held my hands up to it, so now we can draw a line under it and move on as if nothing ever happened" is what they were taught at school: not in the form room, but over cocoa in the Head's study during a prefects meeting.

Comment

Working...
                    X