• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should it be legal to pay kidnappers ransom money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should it be legal to pay kidnappers ransom money?

BBC News - Judith Tebbutt: UK hostage kidnapped in Kenya freed

Does this just encourage the kidnappers to do it again? Should the SAS be sent in every time?

Got to admit though - if it was my wife or kids I would pay. If it was me and they paid I would be furious with them. But not as angry as you lot would be.

It is legal to do so.

It's not legal to demand ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      I'd simply take off & nuke the site from orbit.

Solves an awful lot of problems.

Plus they don't do it again.
      Then I will kidnap someone and hold them in the houses of parliament.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Then I will kidnap someone and hold them in the houses of parliament.
        I'd kidnap the entire 656 MPs in the house of commons and ask the taxpayers for the ransom.

That should prove a hypothesis of sorts.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

if i get kidnapped and im the only employee in the company, can i use company money to pay?
          Happy days every day...just keep invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            I'd simply take off & nuke the site from orbit.
            It's the only way to be sure

Paying a ransom to repeat kidnappers simply funds the next kidnap. Are the people who paid this ransom ready to look the family of the next kidnap victim in the eye and explain why they were the ones who funded the kidnap of their loved one...

Doubt it.

Comment

Easy, just change international law so it's legal to kill kidknappers under any circumstances, and the same should be applied to pirates and make it illegal to pay a ransom
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                It is legal to do so.

It's not legal to demand ransom.
                It's not legal to pay a ransom to a terrorist organisation. In this case, a judge ruled it was a criminal gang, not terrorists.

The best way to stop kidnap is to always go in guns blazing. Behave as though the victim were already dead, then there won't be any more kidnaps. If the victim survive the attack, that's a bonus.

Anything else just prolongs the problem.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Friday Blue View Post
                  if i get kidnapped and im the only employee in the company, can i use company money to pay?
                  No, a kidnapper is obviously a "controlling person" as described in the Budget.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    No, a kidnapper is obviously a "controlling person" as described in the Budget.
                    good one
                    Happy days every day...just keep invoicing.

Comment

Working...
                    X