• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would anyone here (not you Threaded) actually join Mensa?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would anyone here (not you Threaded) actually join Mensa?

What prompted me to ask was I saw this on a CV:

"IQ - 133 (Mensa Tested)"

LOL. I've already met the guy, and he didn't impress.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

They won't accept anyone with an IQ in single figures I'm afraid.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman

They might have a high IQ but that doesn't mean they're any good. Most of the Mensa grade proles I've met have precisely no personality, no communication skills and can't understand a spec!
      Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman

Sorry to sound like threaded here, but I am a member, and when I joined 15 years ago you needed more than 133 to get in.

And Monkey, oy! I resent that remark!

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
          Sorry to sound like threaded here, but I am a member, and when I joined 15 years ago you needed more than 133 to get in.
          Yes, but do you put it on your CV?

Of course, this guy doesn't actually claim that he qualified for Mensa, so what you say about the qualifying mark reinforces my feeling that the guy is full of

BULL
          Last edited by Sysman; 20 May 2006, 10:52.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I've been recruiting recently and you'd be suprised how many people put crap on their CV like "Member of IAM".

FFS, what do I want to know that for?

Comment

As my old A-level physics teacher said:

People who are in Mensa (or have a high "IQ") are good at passing Mensa (or other IQ) tests. In actuality its a very crap method for determining how intelligent someone is.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

I took part in two tests several years ago, the first test was to calculate my IQ and the second my ability to use that IQ. In effect what was proven was that you can have a high IQ but low ability to use it and a low IQ but high ability to use what IQ you have. So you can have a low IQ but actually be far more useful than someone with a high IQ.

It ain't what you got it's the way that you use it. Took part in these tests about 25 years ago when I was applying for Civilian apprenticeships for the Royal Aircraft Establishment and Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers who needed a balance between the both. As I understand these tests are still used in the Medical Profession to measure progression of mental illness.

My IQ is only average but I have a high ability to use it. I have always noticed on projects where there is a high number of people with PhD's, Bsc's etc that these projects have a higher failure rate. Yet when I work on a project without such a dependence on these qualifications there is far more success. There tends to be a reliance on people with high IQ's to be able to get the education requied to sit those exams. My theory is that those whose IQ is not considerred good enough for those exams tend to be more explorative and inventive and and do not take intelligence for granted. With a high IQ it is easy to look down on someone elses intelligence as irrelevant but the other way around more interaction with other people is required to ensure you make the right decision.

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye
                  It ain't what you got it's the way that you use it.
                  Yep, and also size doesn't matter too. It's what you do with it that counts.
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Is it becoz I is thick?

Comment

Working...
                    X