• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

77k rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77k rule

So lets say the new rule is in place that companies with turnover less than 77k will be taxed on turnover.

If I turnover 75k I will be taxed 20% i.e. 15k even if I had expenses of 30k whereas if I turnover 78k with 30k expenses I will only pay 9.6k??

I imagine it would be optional, kind of like the VAT flat rate scheme.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

They are saying there will be an opt-out but it must be for a fixed period of say 5 years. However, I believe this only applies to micro companies that are unincorporated
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Russell,

Many years ago I discovered that its not the headline details that matter in the budget its the detail. And that takes a few days to appear. The differences between IR35 in reaility and the initial announcement is just 1 example.

Wait until the weekend and discuss this after all the gory detail appears in Saturday's and Sunday's papers.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Russell,

Many years ago I discovered that its not the headline details that matter in the budget its the detail. And that takes a few days to appear. The differences between IR35 in reaility and the initial announcement is just 1 example.

Wait until the weekend and discuss this after all the gory detail appears in Saturday's and Sunday's papers.
          Why do you have a link in your signature? I see you are all over the board also? Funny that nothing but a spammer.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
            Why do you have a link in your signature? I see you are all over the board also? Funny that nothing but a spammer.
            Why not? If you ask AtW he will probably tell you it does more harm then good.

As for the other bit I think someone has just discovered that while the tax threshold is rising next year to £9105 the 40% point is dropping £2000 so you end up £105 worse off.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Why not? If you ask AtW he will probably tell you it does more harm then good.

As for the other bit I think someone has just discovered that while the tax threshold is rising next year to £9105 the 40% point is dropping £2000 so you end up £105 worse off.
              How does this work with salary & divis?

If you take £9k salary + £33k divis does anything change? Or is it just for anyone on >£40k salary?
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                How does this work with salary & divis?

If you take £9k salary + £33k divis does anything change? Or is it just for anyone on >£40k salary?
                It'll work exactly the same. The upper limit kicks in when you hit that level regardless of whether your income is from salary, divis or a combination of the two.

Comment

links please, that could be handy for the lazy lowlifes like me...

Comment

Just spotted that it will be expanded:

"..the Treasury will then consider expanding the change to firms with sales of up to £150,000 per year, which it estimates would mean more than three million firms being able to benefit."

BBC News - Budget 2012: Impact on small firms

Comment

Working...
                    X