• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sticking out a boring contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticking out a boring contract

I've been in an IBank contract for around 2 years, and it looks as though it could run for at least the next two.

Rate is good, 30 minute commute, not too stressful....

BUT I'm absolutely bored out of my mind, not really learning, a bit bored of the beuracracy and skills are starting to stagnate.

I have a big old 'war chest' accrued in the company now so finances no concern for a few years.

What do you guys do in this situation? Sit out a long term contract and make hay why the sun shines, or start to look for something new and interesting?

I know its a personal decision but I'm looking for a new angle and benefit of the experience of more experienced guys here.

find another short/lighter contract and see if your cuurent client is willing to let you do 4 days a week or a few half days (or even take 2 weeks holiday and take on 2 weeks short term full time contract). may be a good way to not taking on too much risk and keeping your skills sharp?
    Happy days every day...just keep invoicing.

Comment

Are you a member of any clubs?

I suggested to a club I am a member of that I wrote them a membership system for free. They said yes and I got to do some WPF.

That could help keep you up to date?
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Well you have the 2 year rule to consider now so your rate has dropped for a start...

Secondly what are the chances of you getting another similar gig? If the market for your skills is bouyant your options are considerable different to the situation where there is nothing in 100 miles.

Do you have the ability to jump ship fast? 1 week notice or is it more restrictive?

Is there absolutely no chance of you slipping in to a different area? Getting in with guys doing other technologies, self learning and become valuable to them so get an internal move?

How unmarketable will you be if you do stay another year or two? If it is seriously affecting chances of getting another contract then you would be a fool to get left behind and get in to a situation you can't get work.

Tough call that. Normally I would say stay in contract as long as is reasonable (i.e. you don't become top dog of a dead technology). The next one could be an utter nightmare! If you are as financially comfortable as you say then dipping a toe elsewhere does look attractive I must admit.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Personally, I couldn't stay where I was bored to tears and losing my skills at the same time, certainly not for 2+ years!

I would jump somewhere else, that's one of the benefits of contracting surely?!!? Vote with your feet until you find something you enjoy!

* disclaimer, my personal opinion and a lot could depend on market availability etc for your area of expertise!
          There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

Comment

Originally posted by topper View Post
            Personally, I couldn't stay where I was bored to tears and losing my skills at the same time, certainly not for 2+ years!

I would jump somewhere else, that's one of the benefits of contracting surely?!!? Vote with your feet until you find something you enjoy!

* disclaimer, my personal opinion and a lot could depend on market availability etc for your area of expertise!
            Couldn't agree more. 2+ years is longer than I'd stick at a permie position in IT. 95% of the reasons I turned to contracting was to get away from the day to day boredom which this industry is famous for.

Get the hell out whatever the state of the market, live off your warchest & enjoy life a bit.

Comment

Alot of people expect that because banks pay so much the work will be challenging. The work is mostly easy, the people are dire and the less said about commuting the better.

I remember working with a phd guy who had done some great stuff for a pharmasutical company and doubled his money to join an IB. Boy was he sour.

IMO get a second IB contract (too many do just 1 and it looks so obvious) then try to find siomething interesting for a while. Should be easier to get back into IB later if you want the dosh.

BP

Comment

Gaz_M I agree 100%, I never used to stay in permie jobs that long and I would be climbing the walls to be in a contract that long, my main motivation for contracting was so I did not have to be anywhere too long.

I've taken less money and moved to another contract a few times rather than stay on yet longer on the contract I was on. Bores me to tears. I'm just at that stage now in my current job where that boredom 'ache' has kicked in I have another few months to go but I am noticing its much more of an effort now to get up, get here and be here all day so I know when it gets like that for me I'm ready to go soon!!

With your war chest leave look for something else and enjoy the bit of time off inbetween.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanye View Post
                  I've been in an IBank contract for around 2 years, and it looks as though it could run for at least the next two.

Rate is good, 30 minute commute, not too stressful....

BUT I'm absolutely bored out of my mind, not really learning, a bit bored of the beuracracy and skills are starting to stagnate.

I have a big old 'war chest' accrued in the company now so finances no concern for a few years.

What do you guys do in this situation? Sit out a long term contract and make hay why the sun shines, or start to look for something new and interesting?

I know its a personal decision but I'm looking for a new angle and benefit of the experience of more experienced guys here.
                  I'm in a similar position, but considering the cuts in rates and dropping of contractors, I am still on a reasonable rate compared to what seem to be being offered out there in recruitment land. I like the people and that last few weeks have been better, busy and kept occupied.

Will definitely be no extension come Sept, so will have my hand forced then.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I stuck out a contract in the City for many years, mainly because it suited my lifestyle and allowed me to get home to my family each night (an important point if you've ever been a 100% road warrior type consultant).

The job was easy - too easy given my experience - and boring, and my technical skillset was debased over time, or at the very best it remained where it was. I did gain a lot of banking operations knowledge though. The real problems manifested when my technical skills became less valuable, which I am suffering for now. I am - as NLUK said above - top dog in a pretty much dead technology.

But the contract paid well and my expenses were low, so I am financially comfortable now because of it. In some ways, it was always my plan to bank the cash and deal with the impending situation later.

So it's horses for courses. Personally, I would bank as much as possible but if you've got time then learn something new whilst in the office. This is the one mistake I made - I got too lazy and settled in my ways.

Comment

Working...
                    X