• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't lie on your CV.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't lie on your CV.

This is so cool - I really want to believe...

Man Claims to Fly With Custom-Built Bird Wings | Wired Science | Wired.com

but

Bird-Man's Resume Doesn't Check Out: 'Nobody Knows Him' | Wired Science | Wired.com

He lied on his CV, so apparently he must be a fake. Boo.

Well from what I see the physics doesn't add up.

To stay up he needs, on average, this is a flapping motion after all, to supply a force equal to his (+ machine) weight. At first I was dubious that the puny human pectoral muscles could provide say 100kg of force continually (had visions of those gymnasts that can perform a human cross), but apparently he says he uses motors controlled by a Wii.

So the wing area is given as 15 m^2 (1.) and with that he needs to transfer enough momentum per second to the air to equal his weight. Just guessing looking at the clip, it's say one wing beat a second and that works out at 18.75 N, compared to the circa 1000N needed to stay up. Not even close, his wing is way too small for hu-mans.

Fake.

1. Technology News: Technology: Birdman Takes to the Sky on a Wing and a Wii

Comment

He must have taken advice from Cojak.
      <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

To stay up he needs, on average, this is a flapping motion after all, to supply a force equal to his (+ machine) weight. At first I was dubious that the puny human pectoral muscles could provide say 100kg of force continually (had visions of those gymnasts that can perform a human cross), but apparently he says he uses motors controlled by a Wii.

So the wing area is given as 15 m^2 (1.) and with that he needs to transfer enough momentum per second to the air to equal his weight. Just guessing looking at the clip, it's say one wing beat a second and that works out at 18.75 N, compared to the circa 1000N needed to stay up. Not even close, his wing is way too small for hu-mans.

Fake.

1. Technology News: Technology: Birdman Takes to the Sky on a Wing and a Wii
        Which on reflection may be a bit harsh considering not many birds can hover or take off vertically either.

It turns out that a simple formula relates most winged things, whether they be flapping or fixed, insect or 747:
        0.3 * airDensity * V^2 * surfaceArea = weight (Mg)

Which for a 15 m^2 surface area equates to a horizontal speed of 13 m/s, or 48 km/h. Still fake. I imagine one could stay up for quite a while with a wing of that size once airborne and up to speed though.

http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/chapte...13137chap1.pdf

Comment

Which on reflection may be a bit harsh considering not many birds can hover or take off vertically either.

It turns out that a simple formula relates most winged things, whether they be flapping or fixed, insect or 747:

Which for a 15 m^2 surface area equates to a horizontal speed of 13 m/s, or 48 km/h. Still fake. I imagine he could stay up for quite a while with a wing of that size once airborne and up to speed though.

You sad git. Stick to economics.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            You sad git. Stick to economics.
            Yeah, you can't go wrong with economics.

Comment

I don't recognise his mother tongue but I think I recognise some words at the end of that clip.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

So the wing area is given as 15 m^2 (1.) and with that he needs to transfer enough momentum per second to the air to equal his weight. Just guessing looking at the clip, it's say one wing beat a second and that works out at 18.75 N, compared to the circa 1000N needed to stay up. Not even close, his wing is way too small for hu-mans. ...
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Which for a 15 m^2 surface area equates to a horizontal speed of 13 m/s, or 48 km/h. Still fake. I imagine one could stay up for quite a while with a wing of that size once airborne and up to speed though.

God, I'd hate to get stuck in a lift with you.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    God, I'd hate to get stuck in a lift with you.
                    Why? You're the fat bastard. He'd be scared stiff you were hungry!

Comment

Working...
                    X