• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yet another example of why Health and Safety needs scrapping?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another example of why Health and Safety needs scrapping?

BBC News - Gilberd School in Essex fined over pupil ankle break

Outside court, Antonina Drury, of the Health and Safety Executive, said: "Children who wouldn't be expected to know what the risk was from unsupported timber were exposed to it in a area that was accessed by pupils day in, day out in normal school life."
    ==========================
    Bear in mind these are secondary school pupils - surely an 11 year old knows that playing with planks of wood carries risks?

No wonder we can't compete with Asia. We need to scrap H&S. And HR. And lawyers. And estate agents.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    BBC News - Gilberd School in Essex fined over pupil ankle break

Outside court, Antonina Drury, of the Health and Safety Executive, said: "Children who wouldn't be expected to know what the risk was from unsupported timber were exposed to it in a area that was accessed by pupils day in, day out in normal school life."
    ==========================
    Bear in mind these are secondary school pupils - surely an 11 year old knows that playing with planks of wood carries risks?

No wonder we can't compete with Asia. We need to scrap H&S. And HR. And lawyers. And estate agents.
    H&S doesn't need scrapping, it needed re-evaluation. I don't want it like it was in the late 70's and 80's. A local playground to me growing up had a concrete floor under climbing apparatus. It was only when a 9 year old fell off and died that they looked into it. Utter madness. A man in the village lost his hand when a machine he was using, which didn't have safety guards, juddered and caught his arm, taking it with it.

No, H&S is a good thing to have; a bad thing to have is an overzealous H&S policy.

As for Lawyers and Estate agents,; feel free to pop them off...

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
      H&S doesn't need scrapping, it needed re-evaluation. I don't want it like it was in the late 70's and 80's. A local playground to me growing up had a concrete floor under climbing apparatus. It was only when a 9 year old fell off and died that they looked into it. Utter madness. A man in the village lost his hand when a machine he was using, which didn't have safety guards, juddered and caught his arm, taking it with it.

No, H&S is a good thing to have; a bad thing to have is an overzealous H&S policy.

As for Lawyers and Estate agents,; feel free to pop them off...
      Good points.

Though H&S recently said they are misunderstood - presumably to get more money to tell us how to understand what they are saying.

Presumably no chance of common sense prevailing? I thought not.

Comment

A lot of the anti-H&S stories are in the Daily Mail, so not really to be taken seriously.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          A lot of the anti-H&S stories are in the Daily Mail, so not really to be taken seriously.
          You read the daily mail

I dont read the daily mail so can't comment. But this one is in the bbc.

On the surface it looks pretty damning - 11 year olds dont know that playing with large planks of wood might be dangerous?

Back in the 70s a friend worked for a garage cleaning cars. A very heavy garage door fell on him - he ran but it took off about 5mm from the end of his toe. No-one would ever have dreamed of suing - it was one of those things. These days he would have alled for a lawyer before an ambulance.
          Last edited by BrilloPad; 22 March 2012, 08:35. Reason: You read the daily mail :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Wasn't a Diver by any chance?
            I miss Diver - I must get back with him via linked in.....

Comment

You wont be able to get him back.

You might get most of him back, but not all of him

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to EternalOptimist again.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Any truth in the rumour that he was the inspiration behind the film "Source Code"?

Comment

Back in the 70s a friend worked for a garage cleaning cars. A very heavy garage door fell on him - he ran but it took off about 5mm from the end of his toe. No-one would ever have dreamed of suing - it was one of those things. These days he would have alled for a lawyer before an ambulance.
                    Ah, the good old days when if you got injured doing work for your employer it was 'bad luck' that you were unable to bring in any income for months/years and your family had to live on the streets.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X