• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laugh? I nearly cried.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laugh? I nearly cried.

1. Competition Heats Up To Fill European Tech Jobs

Early in 2011, Intel put out the word that it planned to hire 1000 software engineers by the end of the year in the U.S. It beat its deadline.

Now, it wants to do the same thing in Europe. Aiming to strengthen its R&D capacity in the greater Europe region (Europe, Russia, and Israel), Intel expects to hire about 1000 software engineers in 2012, with most of them based in Poland, Finland, France, Romania, the United Kingdom, and Germany.

Intel is by no means the only company on the hunt for qualified applicants.

Competition for technical talent on the continent “is fierce,” says Stephanie Lee, Intel’s Manager for European Staffing.

Google, Siemens, Nvidia, Microsoft, Qualcomm, and Huawei are among the dozens of other multinational firms each looking to fill hundreds of positions.

European Aeronautics, Defense & Space (EADS), which is partially owned by the governments of Germany, France, and Spain, says it is looking for more than 2000 engineers and IT professionals in France, nearly 2000 in Germany, and about 500 in Spain and the UK—about the same numbers EADS hired in 2011.

The fact that engineers are much sought after in Europe was evident in the most recent edition of the quarterly journal European Vacancy Monitor, which lists occupations in highest demand by country.

Engineering ranked first in the UK and Bulgaria, and was second in demand in Germany, Romania, Norway, Ireland, and Spain.

Engineering ranked fourth in Slovenia, fifth in Poland, and seventh in France and Sweden. Read on.

Who the feck do they think they're kidding?

Ship in the Bobs!

You know it makes sense.

Or something.

So the propaganda machine is in motion in anticipation of a huge new wave of Bobs?

Comment

OK I'm going to be positive here.

All these countries that provide cheap resources themselves are actually developing quite fast. In other words although in the past they were simply an offshore of a developed economy, their economies are moving forward, that means increasingly they will need their engineers to build the stuff that they build not just "lending them out". China now builds cars for itself not just to export. They all used to ride bikes and export the cars to the West, now they buy them and drive to work.

I think the future looks rosy for Engineers.

This is by the way exactly what happened during the 1950's and 1960's when some Asian economies opened up and developed i.e. Japan, Taiwan, Korea and Singapore. Eventually they became wealthy countries with Western living standards.

No-one buys a cheap Jap car anymore. No company offshores to Taiwan anymore to save money, Taiwan builds it's own high tech stuff.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 22 March 2012, 09:12.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Prospects have always been good for good technologists. Sadly there are quite a few mediocre ones.
        HTH
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
        X