• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Number of children claimed to have autism soars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Number of children claimed to have autism soars

Number of children with autism soars by more than 50 per cent in five years - Telegraph

"It is unlikely to be a genuine unprecedented increase in autism, rather an institutional use of this condition to allow people to get easier access to resources.

"This activity ends up trivialising what is a very serious condition for some children."

fooking freeloaders.

WHS

It's all sickness benefit and care allowances.

Strap then into a Lawnmower man type computer grid and let them fight to the death for the amusement of a Saturday night gameshow that's what I say!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It's actually to do with better diagnosis.

If doctors know what they are looking for then they can diagnose it every time they see it.

There as in the past they wouldn't check.

Just like GPs who check their patients who they don't see every 2 years for diabetes are more likely to have patients with diabetes on their books.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        It's actually to do with better diagnosis.

If doctors know what they are looking for then they can diagnose it every time they see it.

There as in the past they wouldn't check.

Just like GPs who check their patients who they don't see every 2 years for diabetes are more likely to have patients with diabetes on their books.
        That is partly true. However there are now a significant number of children who need more discipline being diagnosed. It is slightly easier with baby BP as you can see his autism by looking at him. elder son BP it only becomes clear 5 minutes after talking to him. Well to be fair to Churchy he lasted 10 minutes before getting fed up which I think is a record!

Comment

They seem to have redefined autism or extended it a lot to cover normal people with a slight disability, because the son of my cousin has autism but leads a perfectly normal life, he's married and has a good job. But yes he did need help and it's good that he did get it.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            WHS

It's all sickness benefit and care allowances.

Strap then into a Lawnmower man type computer grid and let them fight to the death for the amusement of a Saturday night gameshow that's what I say!
            The DLA comes in very handy with the kids. Not nearly enough to compensate for what we go through and I would far far rather have normal kids (like my daughter).

Though interesting idea for a gameshow - you should pitch that to C4...
            Last edited by BrilloPad; 22 March 2012, 17:44.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              They seem to have redefined autism or extended it a lot to cover normal people with a slight disability, because the son of my cousin has autism but leads a perfectly normal life, he's married and has a good job. But yes he did need help and it's good that he did get it.
              It is possible for some to divert brain power to conquer autistic traits. Personally I have no natural empathy and find it hard to read people - I have to do it consciously.

Probably why I like posting on cuk - you dont have to read body language and empathy is a distinct disadvantage here.

Comment

Smart kids - get it early and it might just stop possible extradiction to USA for cybercrimes...

Comment

I think it is being used for what used to be described as 'autistic spectrum' which can cover very mild cases (your stereotypical linux nerd).

To be fair, it wasn't that long ago kids with dyslexia were labelled as thick. Now thick kids are labelled as dyslexic. But those who are dyslexic do get the help they need. Hopefully the same is true for Aspergers.

Comment

Those of Pakistani descent positively encouraging Cousins marrying? Judging by the number of 61 plate Blue-badged Previa's stuffed with long-shirted gentlemen in ASDA carpark in the disabled bays I think maybe...

Comment

Working...
                    X