• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SSD Drives - Long term views

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSD Drives - Long term views

So those of you who have been running an SSD as a primary drive in a laptop for the past year or two... how do you feel about it?

Drives are getting down to under £1 per gb and I'm getting sorely tempted!
    Coffee's for closers

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    So those of you who have been running an SSD as a primary drive in a laptop for the past year or two... how do you feel about it?

If you ever compile anything just go for it. The speed difference is remarkable.

But I do seem to care about backing everything up more. The amount of bad stories I've read does give you some paranoia which regular backups will calm.
    Last edited by eek; 22 March 2012, 21:51.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I put mine in my gaming rig as it's windows disk, and with just a couple of decidely average cards in SLI, max out everything in COD and Battlefield

Boot up and shut down times are a lot less than the used to be even after heavy usage

Get one you won't regret it
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Don't use as primary drive and even if you don't make sure you make regular backups.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          If you ever compile anything just go for it. The speed difference is remarkable.

But I do seem to care about backing everything up more. The amount of bad stories I've read does give you some paranoia which regular backups will calm.
          Always first to answer with your link Trackly - Real time analytics spam, why do you spam the board? Spam is bad and you should stop spamming the board. Spammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

It's the best money I have spent on computer equipment in years.

The horror stories are just that, if you stick to the reliable brands (intel, samsung, micron/crucial) they are no less reliable than mechanical HDD, though crucial did have a well publicised firmware bug they released a fix for it quite quickly. Of course you should have a backup of anything important just the same as you would have for a spinning disk.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Have one in my main workstation at home - highly recommended, super quick boot up times. Obviously backed up.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Don't use as primary drive and even if you don't make sure you make regular backups.
                If you have secondary SATAvdrives with data on that's less of an issue
                Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I have a PC in the office with SSD, it's quick. Do I trust it? Nope.

However, my next purchase for my home PC is one of these...

Crucial UK Solid-State Drives - Crucial Adrenaline Solid State Cache

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    I have a PC in the office with SSD, it's quick. Do I trust it? Nope.

However, my next purchase for my home PC is one of these...

Crucial UK Solid-State Drives - Crucial Adrenaline Solid State Cache
                    Is it as resilent as an SSD? (I've had HD's die on me in laptops so I don't trust anything).
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X