• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just Welled Up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Welled Up

Watching that Titanic docu-drama on C5.

Terrible tragedy. Always makes me sad, all those lives lost.

I also feel sad for the ship too.

In every subsequent shot she seems to be listing more than in the last shot in her inevitable journey to her watery grave.

Like watching something die.

Originally posted by pacharan View Post

In every subsequent shot she seems to be listing more than in the last shot in her inevitable journey to her watery grave.

What they should have done is flood the rear compartments too, thereby levelling the ship and avoiding the the water flowing over the fifth (or fourth) water tight door. The doors didn't go upto the full height of the ship.

Here's a factoid, the Captains of both the Carpathia, who came to Titanic's aid, and the Californian, who didn't, were both from my home town of Bolton...

Only the Titanic's Captain's Hanley birth stopped a Bolton hattrick that evening....

Stanley Lord - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Arthur Rostron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Well I never.

She may have stayed afloat longer if they hadn't fired up the engines and steamed off a short distance.

Comment

Reminiscent of the current client #1 latest sprint.

They even called it Project Titanic.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Well I never.

She may have stayed afloat longer if they hadn't fired up the engines and steamed off a short distance.
          Or I've read a theory that it would have been better to just ram the iceberg, the damage was caused by a long rip along the side due to glancing the berg....

Comment

There's a report somewhere on the interweb that portrays its sinking, rightly or wrongly, to have been a catalogue of incompetence that began before the ship was built.

Comment

We used to sing this at school

Song: the Titanic - intermediate-level English resource

Our lyrics were slightly different.

IIRC.

"When they built the ship Titanic, to sail the ocean blue
              They thought they had a ship that the water would never go through
              But the Lord's almighty hand
              Knew that ship would never land,
              It was sa-ad when that great ship down.

It was sad (it was sad)
              It was sad (mighty sad)
              It was sa-ad when that great ship went down

Husbands and wives, little children lost their lives
              It was sa-ad when that gre-eat ship went down.

Comment

Perhaps, however their deaths were not a forgotten step in "tombstone technology". Much nastier ways to die and all those deaths, helped ensure future passengers safety.

I find it very comforting they died and the accident happened en mass, otherwise over the years, many more would have died. Ships used to sink all the time in years past, but because it was a flagship and quite a few died at once, overall their deaths were better for everyone.

Indeed, don't feel too sad though, in all likelyhood it wasnt the titanic that sank anyway. The titanic was supposed to have two other sister ships and one rumour was that the titanic was actually the olympic built earlier and the whole thing was an insurance jobbie.

Conspiracy perhaps? Well people have been committing fraud since the dawn of time.

Originally posted by stek View Post
                What they should have done is flood the rear compartments too, thereby levelling the ship and avoiding the the water flowing over the fifth (or fourth) water tight door. The doors didn't go upto the full height of the ship.
                The tear in the ship breached most of the compartments, differing in severity. No matter what was done, the tear was too bad and she was doomed to sink. Flooding her with more water would have doomed her quicker. The problem wasnt water spilling over the bulkheads, but the sheer amount of water she would take on and the tear that wasnt repairable.

She just opened up like a tin can because of the impurities in the slag, in the rivets, that was used in making her. So many failing across the board meant by the time they realised what happened or could happen, they were past the point of no return.

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Or I've read a theory that it would have been better to just ram the iceberg, the damage was caused by a long rip along the side due to glancing the berg....
                Isnt just a theory, it is a stone cold hard fact. Ships were designed back then somewhat to deal with shunts and iceberg shunts to the bow were commonplace.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  There's a report somewhere on the interweb that portrays its sinking, rightly or wrongly, to have been a catalogue of incompetence that began before the ship was built.
                  Only just seen your post, but yes, that was down to a weakness in the rivets and cost cutting on only ordering best, instead of best best.

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
                    The tear in the ship breached most of the compartments, differing in severity. No matter what was done, the tear was too bad and she was doomed to sink. Flooding her with more water would have doomed her quicker. The problem wasnt water spilling over the bulkheads, but the sheer amount of water she would take on and the tear that wasnt repairable.

She just opened up like a tin can because of the impurities in the slag, in the rivets, that was used in making her. So many failing across the board meant by the time they realised what happened or could happen, they were past the point of no return.
                    I agree with second para, having studied RMS Titanic over the years and watched/read all I can find.

First para I still think I'm right tho, the ship was designed so that the first four compartments could flood and and ship would survive, however, if the fifth flooded, the ship was doomed. Fact is the to so-called water-tight 'doors' to seal the compartments didn't go the full height of all the decks, so if the ship sank forward down enough, the water would overflow the into the fifth compartment and then the next and then the next....

However, and I know hindsight etc, stressful sitch, but if the crew had been able to fully appraise the situation, the theory is (emphasise that!) if the rear compartments were deliberately flooded, the ship would level and no water would over flow into the fifth compartment. The ship would be low in the water, but the water tight doors would seal anymore flooding. Still with a massive rip in the side, but none of it after the fourth bulkhead, as shown in the numerous docs.

Honest I've read a lot about this over years, all theory but plausible!

Comment

Working...
                    X