• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Difference between freelance and perms?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between freelance and perms?

Within 24hrs of being home from surgery on my shoulder, I'm dialled in and billling... None of this 3 week sick leave tulip like permies get as a min.

Although I'm not sure if that makes me stupid...

On the plus side, from a MOO POV on this contract, I've just said no to an additional project the client offered, but yes to a better one!
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Originally posted by scooby View Post
    Within 24hrs of being from surgery on shoulder, I'm dialled in and billling... None of this 3 week sick leave tulip like permies.

Although I'm not sure if that makes me stupid...

On the plus side, from a MOO POV on this contract, I've just said no to an additional project the client offered, but yes to a better one!
    Sick leave? I can't wait to abuse that little perk!

Paid holidays? Bring it on!

Comment

Good effort

However the accolade of most hardcore contractor in the world goes to one of the chaps I tried to get to work with me at HP. When we were trying to set the deal up he did his interview from a hospital bed with a pipe stuck in his back due to a collapsed lung
      He finished the interview then they took him down to the theatre to operate. He was back on email the next morning from the hospital bed (god bless mac book air and a wifi dongle) the client never even knew he was in hospital!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

1/3rd of the income, great news...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

Until you've paid back the visa and air fare, you'll get one day off a month llike the rest of the girls.

Comment

Fell over and gashed my leg on a glass lamp one morning, looked pretty bad but naturally went in anyway. Was fine except the blood kept soaking through the bandages and I had to raid 2 first aid cabs during the day - aren't stitches great !
            Bloody stupid, I hope I would not do the same now but I couldn't be sure....

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
              Fell over and gashed my leg on a glass lamp one morning, looked pretty bad but naturally went in anyway. Was fine except the blood kept soaking through the bandages and I had to raid 2 first aid cabs during the day - aren't stitches great !
              Bloody stupid, I hope I would not do the same now but I couldn't be sure....
              Answer to this is to clean the wound up and then take a large handful of salt and man up for the pain...

The salt will dry the wound and help speed the healing process. won't stop the need for stitches but it does stop the bleeding. (First used this when i trod down on a nail in a stair riser. The nail ran straight up the back of my heal with blood everywhere. works like a charm.)

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
                1/3rd of the income, great news...
                No no no, remember the contractor mantra is "well we don't get paid time off and factoring in time between contracts I don't earn much more than a permie".
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  No no no, remember the contractor mantra is "well we don't get paid time off and factoring in time between contracts I don't earn much more than a permie".
                  Ah, of course. Will have to remember that next time I am offered permie.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    Good effort

However the accolade of most hardcore contractor in the world goes to one of the chaps I tried to get to work with me at HP. When we were trying to set the deal up he did his interview from a hospital bed with a pipe stuck in his back due to a collapsed lung
                    He finished the interview then they took him down to the theatre to operate. He was back on email the next morning from the hospital bed (god bless mac book air and a wifi dongle) the client never even knew he was in hospital!
                    I went back (drove 30 miles) to client site 2 weeks after breaking 3 ribs and my collar bone, I to had a collapsed lung.

Client boss kept asking if I was alright as I winced every time I moved, I told him it was just bruising.

Hardcore.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X