• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banks urgently need to raise more capital, says BoE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banks urgently need to raise more capital, says BoE

British banks are still not holding enough capital to protect them against further shocks and must take action "as early as feasible" to raise funds, the Bank of England has warned.

The warning from the Bank's new Financial Policy Committee, created as a new risk watchdog, underlined the ongoing fragility of the banking system.

A statement released following the FPC's meeting on March 16 said: "The Committee remained concerned that capital was not yet at levels that would ensure resilience in the face of prospective risks and noted that the ability to make further progress via greater restraint of cash distributions was limited.

"It therefore advised banks to raise external capital as early as feasible".

The FPC said that banks had gone as far as they could to raise capital by keeping down pay, dividends and share buybacks, and said it would review the situation at its next meeting in June.

The nine-strong committee was established following the decision by George Osborne to hand responsibility for regulation of the financial system to the Bank of England.

Source: Banks urgently need to raise more capital, says BoE - Telegraph

Well, here is some idea - stop paying fooking bonuses and instead use money to increase bank capital.

You were moaning recently they weren't lending enough.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      British banks are still not holding enough capital to protect them against further shocks and must take action "as early as feasible" to raise funds, the Bank of England has warned.

The warning from the Bank's new Financial Policy Committee, created as a new risk watchdog, underlined the ongoing fragility of the banking system.

A statement released following the FPC's meeting on March 16 said: "The Committee remained concerned that capital was not yet at levels that would ensure resilience in the face of prospective risks and noted that the ability to make further progress via greater restraint of cash distributions was limited.

"It therefore advised banks to raise external capital as early as feasible".

The FPC said that banks had gone as far as they could to raise capital by keeping down pay, dividends and share buybacks, and said it would review the situation at its next meeting in June.

The nine-strong committee was established following the decision by George Osborne to hand responsibility for regulation of the financial system to the Bank of England.

Source: Banks urgently need to raise more capital, says BoE - Telegraph

Well, here is some idea - stop paying fooking bonuses and instead use money to increase bank capital.
      Nothing to worry about here, after another few rounds of QE and holding on to the money instead of actually using it, they will very soon meet the new cap requirements of CRUD IV.

Given my bank won't lend and I have no contract atm can anyone gissa job, I can do that!

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        You were moaning recently they weren't lending enough.
        No, I was commenting on the fact that banks force clients to get tulipy products that shafts them alongside loans.

In USSR buying desireable products that were in short supply often resulted in requirement to buy some tulip stuff alongside that won't sell, but at least that stuff did not feck you over.

Comment

Can you translate that. Does it say they can't risk much more QE because inflation is about to go hypersonic?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            No, I was commenting on the fact that banks force clients to get tulipy products that shafts them alongside loans.
            Like what?

You can't have it both ways.

Comment

Christ, at this stage of play, I might ask my clients to pay in Turkish Lira...

I'd be "MILLION-AIR" HOOOZAAAAH!
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                Like what?
                Like making me take their credit card in order to approve overdraft.

Or like making other businesses take on crazy tulip like this -

Call for inquiry into bank mis-selling scandal - Telegraph

If financial product is complex then it's either a tax dodge or a scam, possibly both.

Comment

Working...
                X