• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sir Mervyn King says new financial stability tools are 'an experiment'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir Mervyn King says new financial stability tools are 'an experiment'

Sir Mervyn King, the head of the Bank of England, said the central bank knows "absolutely nothing" about how the policy instruments its new watchdog has asked for to combat systemic financial risks will work in practice, and that it will need to win a battle of hearts and minds when it starts using them.

The bank's Financial Policy Committee (FPC), established last year to spot emerging bubbles in the financial system, last week agreed to ask parliament for a new set of policy tools that it hopes will help it prevent another financial crisis.

The FPC is seeking from parliament the power to ensure banks have countercyclical capital buffers, the ability to force banks to hold more capital against exposure to specific sectors judged risky and the power to set leverage ratios.

"One thing I want to stress is that this is an experiment. It really is an experiment," he said of the policy instruments at a conference in Washington on Saturday.

"We know absolutely nothing about how these instruments are going to work. It is very important that we play it safe and be cautious."

Like other central banks, the Bank of England is grappling with how to spot potentially systemic risks to the financial system and wider economy even as other indicators of health, such as inflation, are under control.

Source: Sir Mervyn King says new financial stability tools are 'an experiment' - Telegraph

Honest banker shocker - I am glad he keeps his mind open to conduct experiments anyway

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    "We know absolutely nothing about how these instruments are going to work. It is very important that we play it safe and be cautious."
    "...By raping the two generations that follow mine to pay for my house and pension. Outside of that, I don't really give a fook," said Sir Mervyn, yesterday.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

He's laughing all the way to the bank.

Comment

Guy is a complete tool, but we have not decended to shooting out bankers.

Comment

Working...
        X