• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cameron is off his trolley

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cameron is off his trolley

Well maybe David Cameron too, with the Tories' minimum alcohol pricing madness, but I was thinking of this nutter

James Cameron begins Mariana Trench deep-sea dive

Would anyone here have the insane deathwish to stooge about in a cramped metal box in the pitch dark with over 35,000 feet of water bearing down on you? The idea scares the hell out of me, I don't mind admitting. If the craft conks out, they'll be as fecked as if they were marooned on Mars (unless maybe they have emergency floatation tanks - gotta hope so)

Film director James Cameron has begun an attempt to become the first person in 50 years to visit the deepest part of the ocean.

Cameron is travelling 11km (7 miles) down to the Mariana Trench in the western Pacific, where he hopes to spend six hours exploring and filming.

He is making the dive in a specially designed and cramped one-man submarine, the Deepsea Challenger.

The journey has been delayed several times by bad weather.

A manned descent to the trench was last attempted in 1960, by US Navy Lt Don Walsh and Swiss oceanographer Jacques Piccard.

They spent about 20 minutes on the ocean floor but their landing kicked up silt, meaning their view was obscured.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Abyss 2

HTH

Comment

I've done a bit of diving in my time - I would do this in a heartbeat. It looks awesome.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I bet Tokyo lands up getting flattened by a giant fire breathing lizard. That or fingers crossed we don't get a sequal to Avatar.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If only there was some sort of that James Cameron is associated with that is coming soon related to under water...........
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I would love to do that! No kids, no internet, no phone. Just peace and quiet.

Comment

According to the Wiki, Cameron has already done a 6 mile dive in it. It carries 500 kg of ballast, which presumably could be jettisoned sans electrical power. He's on his own too.

Diving to the Titanic, about 3 miles down, would presumably be a walk in the park by comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I would love to do that! No kids, no internet, no phone. Just peace and quiet.
                Brrr brrr. Brrr brrr.

'Errr. Hello?'
                'Ah yes Mr Cameron. How are your doings today. I am phoning to let you know that you have very bad virus on your Windows system and I phoning from Microsoft to help you fix it. Now with much quickness...'
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You can follow his progress on Twitter: DeepSea Challenge (@DeepChallenge) on Twitter

Just passed Titanic depth.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Brrr brrr. Brrr brrr.

'Errr. Hello?'
                    'Ah yes Mr Cameron. How are your doings today. I am phoning to let you know that you have very bad virus on your Windows system and I phoning from Microsoft to help you fix it. Now with much quickness...'
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X