• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deprecation of assets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deprecation of assets

Trying to work out the CT600 this year, the only asset that I have bought is a laptop for £911, is there a guide that show's what the deprecation should be? Or do I go to the likes of eBay and check the cost of a similar spec second hand laptop?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Trying to work out the CT600 this year, the only asset that I have bought is a laptop for £911, is there a guide that show's what the deprecation should be? Or do I go to the likes of eBay and check the cost of a similar spec second hand laptop?
    Depreciation is something that's done in the accounts, and it's usual to have either 33.3% or 25%. That's either straight line (so the same each each year) or reducing balance (a set percentage of the remaining value each year). Depreciation is added back in the tax computation as it's not allowable.

The CT600 would then show 100% Annual Investment Allowance.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      Depreciation is something that's done in the accounts, and it's usual to have either 33.3% or 25%. That's either straight line (so the same each each year) or reducing balance (a set percentage of the remaining value each year). Depreciation is added back in the tax computation as it's not allowable.

The CT600 would then show 100% Annual Investment Allowance.
      So when does the asset's value reach zero on "reducing balance" basis. Surely you end up with an asset that has a value, however small, ad infinitum. I've noticed this with my laptop, can it still have a value come 2020.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
        So when does the asset's value reach zero on "reducing balance" basis. Surely you end up with an asset that has a value, however small, ad infinitum. I've noticed this with my laptop, can it still have a value come 2020.
        When it small enough to be written off or the item has no business value.

E.g. £1000 laptop at 33% a year would be.

Y0: £1000
        Y1 : £670
        Y2: £449
        Y3: £300
        Y4: £201
        Y5: £0 - I'd probably just write it off when its under £200.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
          Absolutely, then you end up with assets worth £1 and no one remembers what they are! This is one of the reasons why we wouldn't even capitalise something under £750 in the first place - it gets written off for tax in year one, and the pace of technology likely means that a computer for that value won't be worth much in a year anyway.

Comment

Absolutely, then you end up with assets worth £1 and no one remembers what they are! This is one of the reasons why we wouldn't even capitalise something under £750 in the first place - it gets written off for tax in year one, and the pace of technology likely means that a computer for that value won't be worth much in a year anyway.
            Seeing as you can claim CT600 annual investment allowance on most of what we as one man contractors buy, is there any real advantage to have financial accounts that depreciate them? Seem like unnecessary admin for a small business like mine?

Comment

I bought a laptop 4 and a bit years ago that's now depreciated to nothing for accounts purposes. If I were to sell it, probably only £50-£100, do I still need to account for that as a sale? Or does depreciated mean I can just say that it's mine and not the company's and nobody will ever care?
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
                Seeing as you can claim CT600 annual investment allowance on most of what we as one man contractors buy, is there any real advantage to have financial accounts that depreciate them? Seem like unnecessary admin for a small business like mine?
                There's no real advantage, but then there's no disadvantage either apart from the depreciation calculation (which takes about 30 seconds). The idea is that assets are capitalised to show their ongoing use to the business, and then depreciated across their useful economic lives.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  I bought a laptop 4 and a bit years ago that's now depreciated to nothing for accounts purposes. If I were to sell it, probably only £50-£100, do I still need to account for that as a sale? Or does depreciated mean I can just say that it's mine and not the company's and nobody will ever care?
                  It means you should account for it as a sale, or sell it to yourself for market value - if your permi employer had an old computer you couldn't just sell it and keep the money!

Comment

There's no real advantage, but then there's no disadvantage either apart from the depreciation calculation (which takes about 30 seconds). The idea is that assets are capitalised to show their ongoing use to the business, and then depreciated across their useful economic lives.
                    Thanks Clare, my asset register is so small that I am inclined to just stay in line with the tax valuation myself. Makes no real difference to my balance sheet, either I have a higher net asset balance or a higher retained income.

Comment

Working...
                    X