• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Counterfeit pound coins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Counterfeit pound coins

Over the last two weeks after visiting various sandwich shops, pubs and cafes. I have acquired 3 worthless, bent and twisted pieces of scrap metal.

Two of them are badly dented around the edges and the face is slightly bent, obviously made of softer metal than the normal royal mint quid. One of them has reacted with something and has bubbled out slightly at the edge. One is in far better shape but has awful lettering around the edge "tutamen et decus". When I spin it around between my thumbs the designs are not aligned.

I knew fake coins were in circulation but hadn't actually noticed any until now. Receiving three in such a short period of time certainly doesn't feel good. Anyone else noticed any recently?

Hmmm. Counterfeiting the pound was one of Hitler's ploys. Maybe that lady in your Avatar is behind it.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I believe around 2% are counterfeit. Personally I never look too closely and pass on all the coins I have. Once you know they are fake it is illegal to pass them on.

Comment

Nope, but someone tried to palm me off with a Scottish ten pound note the other day. I don't care if they are legal tender, I don't want the hassle of trying to palm it off on to the next sucker.

Comment

Counterfeiting coins.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Nope, but someone tried to palm me off with a Scottish ten pound note the other day. I don't care if they are legal tender, I don't want the hassle of trying to palm it off on to the next sucker.
            When travelling south of the border I get English notes from the bank or use an ATM. Not sure whether they're legal tender or not but best to avoid the grief.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

I'm not too keen on being palmed off with a five pound note that is barely hanging together either. I had a particularly mankey example of one of those once and a couple of shops refused to take it, including the one that lumbered me with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                When travelling south of the border I get English notes from the bank or use an ATM. Not sure whether they're legal tender or not but best to avoid the grief.

Dream on
                I've never had problems with English notes in Scotland.
                Scottish notes on the other hand get dealt with more and more suspicion the further south you go. Last time I actually showed the shop keeper my train ticket which was still in my pocket to prove that it was from scotland
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  I'm not too keen on being palmed off with a five pound note that is barely hanging together either. I had a particularly mankey example of one of those once and a couple of shops refused to take it, including the one that lumbered me with it.
                  They say there are too few cash machines that dispense £5 notes. Why can't tescos (and other large shops) be made to give out new £5 notes instead of the manky ones they give out?

Of course you can always send bad condition notes to the BoE.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    They say there are too few cash machines that dispense £5 notes. Why can't tescos (and other large shops) be made to give out new £5 notes instead of the manky ones they give out?

Of course you can always send bad condition notes to the BoE.
                    Tesco seem to be prime offenders in taking away any £5 notes they receive at the tills at frequent intervals, presumably because they want to give you a pocket full of change.

Poundland gave me a whole bunch of change making up a £1 the other week too. The girl on the till said it's the same money, yeah a pocket full of same money. She went way overboard, I must have had 20 coins and might have accepted less, but I soon got a £1 coin when I asked to speak to the manager.

Comment

Working...
                    X