• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Game over in Wandsworth

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game over in Wandsworth

Administrators at Game Group will close almost half the UK’s 609 stores, leaving 2,104 people without jobs, in the biggest collapse since Woolworths in 2008. Here is the list of Game and Gamestation stores that will shut.

• Wandsworth

Source: Is your local Game store closing? - Telegraph

They'll probably turn the shop into flats

They brought on their own demise, they stopped stocking many pc titles concentrating on consoles.

By the time they changed their mind Steam had already taken their business away and with online passes needed for second hand titles their second hand stock always looked bad value
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Aye, Steam is the way to go - stores are DOOMED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Aye, Steam is the way to go - stores are DOOMED!!!
        Lol not all of us pirate everything

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
          Lol not all of us pirate everything
          Steam offers good deals on games out a year ago or more, very rarely a decent game like Skyrim comes out and worth shelling out money when it's released.

Comment

Interesting story Game. Back in 1991 I had just been fired by Games Workshop as a shop manager and had decided to go to University instead.

Out of the blue I got a contact from a couple of guys asking me to come to an interview for a company called Game. I went, had the interview & that was about it. I remember at the time they told me they were backed by money(I think one was the son of someone) & it was backed my some venture capitalists. The plan to have interactive stores/videos/TVs's etc. I was to wet behind the ears for them then and frankly I had decided that Uni was the way.

Maybe would have been interesting to have been part of it, but as with all thing, they have their time and then they're gone. Even if rescued, hard to see how they would adapt now in the changing world of UK retail.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Steam offers good deals on games out a year ago or more, very rarely a decent game like Skyrim comes out and worth shelling out money when it's released.
              I won Portal 2 and Skyrim in their xmas competitions, but ordinarily I'd wait till they're cheap

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Interesting story Game. Back in 1991 I had just been fired by Gay Workshop as a shop manager and had decided to go to University instead.

Why did they fire you?

Comment

Didn't one of NickFitz's links a while ago detail the decline of a similar business with hundreds of stores? I forget which one.

But the moral was those kinds of companies start thinking of the stores as the raison d'etre and main focus of the company, and (amazingly these days) neglect the online aspect.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Rochdale is closing, but is that Game AND Game station (next door but one...)?

They should have closed in Rochdale ages ago, they're not a charity or pound shop!!
                    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Working...
                    X