• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thermite

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermite

Thermite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds like fun stuff. Quite popular on a lot of science programmes.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Thermite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds like fun stuff. Quite popular on a lot of science programmes.
    The one i learnt years ago was something like Potassium permanganate + ammonium nitrate + brake fluid + wrap in a tin foil ball = v hot reaction with a delayed ignition.

You could buy everything from the garden centre / diy store.
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

One of the more fun chemistry demos we had at school - not sure if they still allow it. We all trekked out to the sports field for the teacher to light a proper cup-full of the stuff in a very heavy duty iron cup/flask in the long-jump pit (jeez this sounds like a GricerBoy thread). The container was melted clean through
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        One of the more fun chemistry demos we had at school - not sure if they still allow it. We all trekked out to the sports field for the teacher to light a proper cup-full of the stuff in a very heavy duty iron cup/flask in the long-jump pit (jeez this sounds like a GricerBoy thread). The container was melted clean through
        Aluminium and iron oxide (rust) is the commonest and preferred mixture I gather, and the ones they use on TV. Might be handy stuff to have around for a bit of spot welding.

Seems to me that aluminium oxides to aluminium oxide (alumina) the instant you would make a powder out of it. Do you know whether aluminium is prevented from oxidising somehow in thermite mixes, or whether alumina works?

Comment

I vaguely recall it has to be unoxidised but I'm not sure - I can't remember if I'm confusing it with how potassium was kept in oil. Maybe you just need a bit of it unoxidised to start it going.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

LOL, was just looking up home made examples and happened to see how easy it is to make other really dangerous stuff such as chlorine gas, mustard gas, chloroform... Bleach seems to crop up a lot. Don't try this at home kids.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              LOL, was just looking up home made examples and happened to see how easy it is to make other really dangerous stuff such as chlorine gas, mustard gas, chloroform... Bleach seems to crop up a lot. Don't try this at home kids.
              Expect a visit from your friendly, local, anti-terrorist police in the next few days
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
              X