• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you Flat Rate tax or not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you Flat Rate tax or not?

Proper poll question for once.

My accountant suggested to me last year that I should swap to Flat Rate VAT. I know there are benefits. Just wondered who does / who doesn't and then NLUK can come in and give us a summary cause I can't be arsed to go into the professional boards to find the calc.
    No
    9.52%
    Yes - Flat Rate
    76.19%
    Yes - 20% Rate
    9.52%
    I am Scooterscot/AndyW
    4.76%
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

I'm flat rate, but I don't really expense stuff life food while away or petrol so there was little benefit for me to go "proper VAT" and try and off set purchases etc against receipts.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

My accountant suggested to me last year that I should swap to Flat Rate VAT. I know there are benefits. Just wondered who does / who doesn't and then NLUK can come in and give us a summary cause I can't be arsed to go into the professional boards to find the calc.
      We started this year. Depends on your rate really. We're getting a benefit of about 9k this year, and that's on the back of what wouldn't have been much of a VAT claim anyway.

Next tax year, we're buying a new Commercial vehicle and some new puters for the 'office' including an iMac and some new iPads for the girls. As long as the spend is over £2k, you get the VAT back anyway, so it's really a no brainer.

Comment

For the consultancy stuff I will be flat rate as all clients will be VATable and it looks highly profitable (I think its something like a £1000 profit from doing so).

For the plan C my wife is playing with we will be using standard VAT accounting as it looks like we'll lose money any other way.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
          We started this year. Depends on your rate really. We're getting a benefit of about 9k this year, and that's on the back of what wouldn't have been much of a VAT claim anyway.

Next tax year, we're buying a new Commercial vehicle and some new puters for the 'office' including an iMac and some new iPads for the girls. As long as the spend is over £2k, you get the VAT back anyway, so it's really a no brainer.
          Would the "above £2k" work on a company car as well, or does it have to be a commercial vehicle?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Would the "above £2k" work on a company car as well, or does it have to be a commercial vehicle?
            I looked at that. It has to be a commercial vehicle. A lot of people buy these things

As alledgedly they meet the criteria.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Has to be a 'vatable' company car and not all are.

Comment

I looked at that. It has to be a commercial vehicle. A lot of people buy these things

As alledgedly they meet the criteria.
                They do meet the criteria. The other benefit is that 100% is writable against corp tax. So if it costs £20 + Vat, you get the 4k back for the vat, then another £4k off Corp tax, so it ends up, technically, only costing £16k, with a bik amount of £3k, plus an additional £600 if you get the company to pay all petrol etc. I think we paid £6-700 a year to have it. Worth every penny.

Just bought a 4Motion 180ps DSG Transporter Kombi to turn into a camper. £37k to £24k in seconds.

Comment

MF,

I love your new avatar! imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yeah I know that pick ups count as commercial but not a big fan of them, one of the reason's to get a new car is save money on fuel costs so a big 4WD that does 30mpg is no better then the V6 MG i got at the moment

Comment

Working...
                    X