• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"It's not as good as the book"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"It's not as good as the book"

I haven't seen the Da Vinci Code, nor read the book. I was just reading some reviews of the movie, and scores of people were uttering the words that really get under my skin, "its good, but, it's not as good as the book"

ffs. I read plenty of books, and watch plenty of movies. Now the written word and film are two completely different media. When people say "It's not as good as the book" I often wonder what the feck these people want out of the movie? A narrater on-screen reading the book word for word for 12 hours? A copy on each seat with a little spot lamp to help read in the dark?

it's not as good as the book
    I think that is what is known as a "backhanded complement". The book is truly dire, so badly written I would say I've seen better composed 5th form essays in the CSE stream.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

They are talking about making DB's Angel & Demons into the next movie... & that was even more dire than DVC

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
        ffs. I read plenty of books, and watch plenty of movies. Now the written word and film are two completely different media. When people say "It's not as good as the book" I often wonder what the feck these people want out of the movie? A narrater on-screen reading the book word for word for 12 hours? A copy on each seat with a little spot lamp to help read in the dark?
        Not really but at least something that strikes your immagination and deliver some feelings to you. I have recently seen the Hitch-hiker guide to galaxy movie and never read the book. Now, everybody claims that the book is a masterpiece but I must admit that the movie is a complete disappointment and fails to deliver the message (if there was any). Some movies, instead, are very powerful and therefore can compete with the book.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Dalek
          They are talking about making DB's Angel & Demons into the next movie...
          I'd prefer BBC make more new Red Dwarf episodes...

Comment

The movie version of Hitch-Hikers was utter trash. Really awful. I'm not sure I would describe the book as a masterpiece, but it was very good; probably helped by the cult status and general hype. The film was a disappointing interpretation IHMO.

The Green Mile on the other hand is stunning. I watched the film before reading the book; and I have to say both are truely excellent.

I have read DVC, and enjoyed that as well. I've seen the not so favourable reviews of the film, and am hoping its not going to be another Hitch-Hikers. I will go and see it at some point and judge for myself.

Comment

Good point - Lord of the Rings in the book is better than the movie, yet the movie is still master class (well, maybe not boring first page, but 3rd is certainly very good): its different stuff and good books are very hard to put in movie.

Have neither read the book nor seen the movie of that Da Vinchi stuff - it gets hyped way too much IMO so expectations of some may be very unreasonable.

Comment

It's As Good As The Book

Where Eagles Dare.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                  I think that is what is known as a "backhanded complement". The book is truly dire, so badly written I would say I've seen better composed 5th form essays in the CSE stream.
                  Were you in the CSE stream long?
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                    compliment, FFS.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X