PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Contractors

NorthWestPerm2Contr
27th March 2012, 12:14
Has anybody every worked with really nasty, unfriendly contractors? I have worked at several places both as a permie and now contracting and have never had any issues with any of the people working around me. This time round there is this really nasty and unfriendly contractor who doesn't speak or communicate with anybody and is just plain rude. The first few days I made an effort to talk and communicate but have now given myself the challenge to see how long I can avoid talking to them......

Feel like smashing the person against the wall....

SimonMac
27th March 2012, 12:15
You working with MF?

oscarose
27th March 2012, 12:16
unfriendly contractor

:wave:

tractor
27th March 2012, 12:17
Yes, I've met a few but haven't found that they are in the main, mostly colleagues have been of similar mind.

What does surprise me however, is that they actulally get roles in the first place and then stay in them. I guess it's gotta be a mix of tech expertise and client laziness.

MarillionFan
27th March 2012, 12:17
You working with MF?

I'm lovely to work with.

Peoplesoft bloke
27th March 2012, 12:18
Wierd yes, nasty no*. I have met and worked with some exceptionally nasty permies and customers over the years.

*in RL - there are four or five pieces of work on here.

BrilloPad

Have you considered they might have personal issues? Me neither - just go and thump em.

tractor
I'm lovely to work with.

I heard MF had retired on the back of the 30% profit he is going to make from ....... first class stamps.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
27th March 2012, 12:19
:wave:

Are you Male or Female? As it happens the person next to me is the first female techie contractor I have worked with (worked with loads of female contractors and permie techies but not techie contractor). I wonder if that's anything to do with it....

I have managed to go a full 24 hours without even looking or talking to her. I am hoping to do it for the whole time she is here...

Zoiderman
27th March 2012, 12:20
Are you Male or Female? As it happens the person next to me is the first female techie contractor I have worked with (worked with loads of female contractors and permie techies but not techie contractor). I wonder if that's anything to do with it....

I have managed to go a full 24 hours without even looking or talking to her. I am hoping to do it for the whole time she is here...

Not a looker then?

Scoobos
27th March 2012, 12:21
I have, routinely since moving to the South East..

Coming from Australia to Berkshire was a culture shock, even saying "hello" is considered an interruption in some offices I've been in.

In my opinion, life outside of work here is enough to make anyone miserable.

northernladuk
27th March 2012, 12:22

Maybe she has you marked down a young chauvanistic pup and has beaten you to it.

Just saying like.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
27th March 2012, 12:22
Not a looker then?

Stunning.... For a goat.

TBH even if she was I would still do the same.

Zoiderman
27th March 2012, 12:24
Stunning.... For a goat.

TBH even if she was I would still do the same.

Bet you wouldn't...

NorthWestPerm2Contr
27th March 2012, 12:25
Generally this place is grim.... I am in contact with colleagues back at Radbroke and we are both working to get me back there once I have done my 3 month break. This person next to me though is just the icing on the cake.

nomadd
Has anybody every worked with really nasty, unfriendly contractors?

There's another type?

I always find that two contractors in the same room is one too many. :ladybags:

NorthWestPerm2Contr
Bet you wouldn't...

I guess if she was a 9 or a 10 then it would at least partly make up for it.....

BrilloPad
27th March 2012, 12:27
Bet you wouldn't...

Agreed. But MTT would.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
There's another type?

I always find that two contractors in the same room is one too many. :ladybags:

All my giggs to date have had decent contractors working around me. Incidently has anybody ever actually met somebody who comes onto contractoruk? None of the contractors I have met seem to use it...

oscarose

'Contractor unfriendly' client = unfriendly contractor.

Apart from doing what I'm contracted for, I'm wasting zero energy attempting to communicate unless I have to.

Currently with 'contractor unfriendly' client. Canteen's not bad though and there's some minge. :wink

tractor
27th March 2012, 12:28
Maybe some care needed here on the part of the OP.

I was doing some work at the fringe of a project once in addition to the mainstream of the role that I was originally appointed to. The fringe work I was involved in was doc reviews at requirements stage.

A new BA was appointed whose name was actually that of an African bovid (the resemblance didn't end there). Her immediate demands on the rest of the project were unrealistic to say the least and a couple of contractors took umbrage and an instant dislike. Turns out she was actually there to combine several workstreams into a single project and to take over as lead.

Lol, copybook and blotted doesn't even come close. Not the best way for the sponsors to manage the project and its' comms though ......

russell
27th March 2012, 12:29
Maybe you banged her years ago and forgot who she was, turns out chicks don't like that as I learned only too well and many many many occasions.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
27th March 2012, 12:30
'Contractor unfriendly' client = unfriendly contractor.

Apart from doing what I'm contracted for, I'm wasting zero energy attempting to communicate unless I have to.

Currently with 'contractor unfriendly' client. Canteens not bad though and there's some minge. :wink

I guess I have just been lucky to date then. Still I aim to go back to a place where you wouldn't hate to go to.

BrilloPad
27th March 2012, 12:31
Incidently has anybody ever actually met somebody who comes onto contractoruk? None of the contractors I have met seem to use it...

I always lie when asked. If pushed I never let on that I have posted in general.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
27th March 2012, 12:32
I always lie when asked. If pushed I never let on that I have posted in general.

Liar

russell
27th March 2012, 12:34
I know one guy, worked with him, decent bloke, doesn't post as much as you saddos though.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
27th March 2012, 12:34
I know one guy, worked with him, decent bloke, doesn't post as much as you saddos though.

How many posts have you got since Last April?

BrilloPad
27th March 2012, 12:35

I am pleased to be called a saddo by you. I would hate for anyone to think you liked me.

russell
27th March 2012, 12:36
How many posts have you got since Last April?

Not as many as some.

russell
27th March 2012, 12:37
I am pleased to be called a saddo by you. I would hate for anyone to think you liked me.

I wasn't talking to you.

nomadd
27th March 2012, 12:38
Incidently has anybody ever actually met somebody who comes onto contractoruk? None of the contractors I have met seem to use it...

That's a damn good question: good enough for a poll.

I mention CUK to all the contractors I come into contact with - and not one of them says they use it. Or at least they won't admit it. Maybe a carry-over from the AndyW scandal..?

NorthWestPerm2Contr
27th March 2012, 12:39

I mention CUK to all the contractors I come into contact with - and not one of them says they use it. Or at least they won't admit it. Maybe a carry-over from the AndyW scandal..?

Indeed I was thinking of making a poll/thread about it but then the biaatch next to me changed me priorities.

jmo21
27th March 2012, 12:40
Only ever disliked one contractor, and he turned out to be a brown noser who was sucking his way into a permie role.

Usually find the common ground of "these permies are idiots, we contractors are in this together" type of thing.

Brussels Slumdog
27th March 2012, 12:45
I am currently working with 6 other contractors. The 7th is a self appointed lead who knows ever thing and is rude and seems
to be the PMs favourite mate

Zoiderman
27th March 2012, 12:46
Only ever disliked one contractor, and he turned out to be a brown noser who was sucking his way into a permie role.

Usually find the common ground of "these permies are idiots, we contractors are in this together" type of thing.

I have never had an issue with a fellow contractor. Invariably, because my work is normally quite separate to theirs, there are no territorial issues. I must admit to seeing a group of Java develoeprs falling out when the red pen was pulled out by a client once. Never seen such bitching. I am normally the only fella doing what I do.

Never had an issue with a contractor though, most try and get along and not make too much trouble.

MarillionFan
27th March 2012, 12:49

Only once did I meet a contractor who used it that I didn't know, the dearly departed Mordac.

Durbs
27th March 2012, 12:58

Yeah, I know a couple, which is surprising as I'd guess there are only half a dozen real people on here and i'm not one of them.

ChrisPackit
27th March 2012, 13:01
Only worked with one contractor I would gladly punch in the throat if I ever saw again.

Got a 6 week contract in Darlington joining on what could only be described as the 'Mary Celeste' of projects, and had a contract PM who went out of his way to make me look like a bell end to the permie management. I'm sure they were looking for a scapegoat, and I happened to be it - I reckon.

Senile Welsh old ****er! :mad

eek
27th March 2012, 13:06
Only worked with one contractor I would gladly punch in the throat if I ever saw again.

Got a 6 week contract in Darlington joining on what could only be described as the 'Mary Celeste' of projects, and had a contract PM who went out of his way to make me look like a bell end to the permie management. I'm sure they were looking for a scapegoat, and I happened to be it - I reckon.

Senile Welsh old ****er! :mad

Crapita are full of them there.

oscarose
27th March 2012, 13:10

What did AndyW do?

MarillionFan
27th March 2012, 13:10
Had a couple of problems early in my contracting career. One of which consisted of some contractor throwing a punch at me and another consisted of me having a chat with someone outside the office.

These days I have learnt how to deal with all kinds of people, especially difficult ones.

shaunbhoy
27th March 2012, 13:21
Had a couple of problems early in my contracting career. One of which consisted of some contractor throwing a punch at me and another consisted of me having a chat with someone outside the office.

These days I have learnt how to deal with all kinds of people, especially difficult ones.

I expect your general attire must help take the heat out of many contentious situations too MF.

http://www.cmgww.com/historic/wilde/images/photogallery/3b16950r.jpg

:tongue

Spacecadet
27th March 2012, 13:34
If you can't point to the Nasty Contractor in the room then you are the Nasty Contractor :devil

northernladuk
27th March 2012, 13:36
Indeed I was thinking of making a poll/thread about it but then the biaatch next to me changed me priorities.

Good idea. Your last poll was a belter!! :eyes

NorthWestPerm2Contr
27th March 2012, 13:47
Good idea. Your last poll was a belter!! :eyes

Which one was that then?

Sands of Time
27th March 2012, 13:50
Only ever had issues with one place in the 14 years of contracting.

Current client is good and hope to get an extension next week - working for a contractor which is different.

I mostly have my own area - working on projects usually no issues as I deliver.

During a SOx project a few years ago it did get very infantile - I sidestepped it at first but then enjoyed mixing it up at the end of the project.

I got rehired a year later- no issues.

Tone

darrenb
27th March 2012, 19:09
I have a theory that if you've got one poisonous person in the group, overall productivity goes down 40%, if you've got two, about 70%, and so on. That's because communication links are broken, distrust is sown, etc.

Client managers don't seem to mind this at all though. Actually often it is the manager who is the most poisonous person, or who has inserted the poisonous person into the group in order to "ensure a good mix of personality types," or (more honestly) to have somebody on his side, a corporate climber type, within the techie circle.

cojak
27th March 2012, 20:32
Has anybody every worked with really nasty, unfriendly contractors? I have worked at several places both as a permie and now contracting and have never had any issues with any of the people working around me. This time round there is this really nasty and unfriendly contractor who doesn't speak or communicate with anybody and is just plain rude. The first few days I made an effort to talk and communicate but have now given myself the challenge to see how long I can avoid talking to them......

The only seriously unfriendly coder (permie) I've met was autistic, wouldn't look anyone in the face, let alone in the eye; named his variables depending on what he ate the night before and never said anything to anyone, just grunted.

I suspect no-one fired him because they didn't know how.

DimPrawn
27th March 2012, 20:38
The only seriously unfriendly coder (permie) I've met was autistic, wouldn't look anyone in the face, let alone in the eye; named his variables depending on what he ate the night before and never said anything to anyone, just grunted.

You've worked with AtW?!?

:eek

Diver
27th March 2012, 20:44

I don't remember working with you! :confused:

and the only reason my coding caused so much confusion was because I ate Pitza every night :smokin

cojak
27th March 2012, 20:47
Diver!!!!!!!

How's em hangin' Darlin'?

:hug: :happy

mudskipper
27th March 2012, 20:47

I guess you worked with MF.

Edit: Just noticed the post was MF :laugh

NorthWestPerm2Contr
28th March 2012, 08:58
By Lunchtime it will be 48 hours since we last exchanged words......

This is starting to get interesting...

eek
28th March 2012, 09:04

My current PM is rapidly approaching 24 hours without talking.

He needs me to do a bit of work very urgently but until he tells me to drop what I'm doing (equally mission critical) and do it I won't be starting.

ho hum.

MarillionFan

I've managed to go 18 months ignoring the women who works two desks away from me & vice versa. Fookin ignorant cow, started my saying morning etc and she never said a word so I (and a number of others) completely ignore her.

Zoiderman
I did work with a permie who hacked into your machine and stole your library code. He then got very, very arsey when myself and another contractor worked out what he had done, then did the same to him, then deleted his own code library. Couldn't work out who had done it either.

Was a few years ago, but I remember it clearly, he wet his pants when he realsied he'd lost his lifetimes collection of (other peoples) code...

BrilloPad
28th March 2012, 09:09
Diver!!!!!!!

How's the hand hangin' Darlin'?

FTFY

nomadd
28th March 2012, 09:12
My current PM is rapidly approaching 24 hours without talking.

He needs me to do a bit of work very urgently but until he tells me to drop what I'm doing (equally mission critical) and do it I won't be starting.

ho hum.

Nothing. My PM got shifted offshore. Been trying to get business requirements and a project plan out of him since December 7th. He tells me he's still working on it.

I've been basically "doing my own thing" for nearly 4 months now. Still, the invoices are still being paid, so I don't really care. :)

eek
28th March 2012, 09:15
Nothing. My PM got shifted offshore. Been trying to get business requirements and a project plan out of him since December 7th. He tells me he's still working on it.

I've been basically "doing my own thing" for nearly 4 months now. Still, the invoices are still being paid, so I don't really care. :)

Mine is a permie PM but since I've resigned and told him roughly what I thought about him yesterday he isn't talking to me.

When I finally tell him what I really think of him he definitely won't be happy.

Diver
28th March 2012, 09:36
Diver!!!!!!!

How's em hangin' Darlin'?

Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that :D

You are the only one I really missed, but keep that to yourself :hug: :eyes

nomadd
28th March 2012, 09:38
Mine is a permie PM but since I've resigned and told him roughly what I thought about him yesterday he isn't talking to me.

When I finally tell him what I really think of him he definitely won't be happy.

Yeah, been in that position a couple of times over the years. Mind you, I'm not one for holding back, so "roughly" usually translates into "finally" pretty much straight away for me! :)

I honestly think you'd be better off saying nothing on your final day...

...and then punch him in the face (see MF for details. :ladybags:)

:D

Scrag Meister
28th March 2012, 10:11
Had a contractor "join" our team a few years back on Monday, he promptly slated the entire application and was suggesting a rewrite (been in use for 4 years), got the manager's back up along with a couple of team leads from the sub-teams, generally just obnoxious, twunt who was very up his own @r5e.

The only reason he got in on Thursday was because his agent didn't manage to get hold of him on Wednesday evening.

Found out after the fact that the people who interviewed him recognised he may be a coding genius and a great asset, or a total pillock, and reduced the notice period in the first month to 1 week. Wise move.

Sadly it turned out to be the latter.

eek
28th March 2012, 10:24
Yeah, been in that position a couple of times over the years. Mind you, I'm not one for holding back, so "roughly" usually translates into "finally" pretty much straight away for me! :)

I honestly think you'd be better off saying nothing on your final day...

...and then punch him in the face (see MF for details. :ladybags:)

:D

I won't do that. However I think he'll be surprised when he discovers that my final day is not the same as what he wanted. :rollin:

And its not as if I warned him.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
28th March 2012, 10:31
Almost had to break the silence about 30 mins ago due to work request. Managed to get round it by sending an email instead of verbally. Still on track to go through the full 3 or 6 months doing this....

oscarose
28th March 2012, 19:14
Almost had to break the silence about 30 mins ago due to work request. Managed to get round it by sending an email instead of verbally. Still on track to go through the full 3 or 6 months doing this....

Fail to see any problem.

Pogle
28th March 2012, 20:13
<Northernwanker>

As it happens the person next to me is the first female techie contractor I have worked with (worked with loads of female contractors and permie techies but not techie contractor). I wonder if that's anything to do with it....

Stunning.... For a goat.

I guess if she was a 9 or a 10 then it would at least partly make up for it..... "

</Northernwanker>

You are a misogynistic fukwit.
And yes I know there are many of those on here - however they are amusing and entertaining, you are simply a twat - bugger off back to business/contracts where they are too polite to tell you to sod off.

And FWIW - I get one well with everyone I work with, I make the effort and it pays dividends.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
28th March 2012, 21:30
<Northernwanker>

As it happens the person next to me is the first female techie contractor I have worked with (worked with loads of female contractors and permie techies but not techie contractor). I wonder if that's anything to do with it....

Stunning.... For a goat.

I guess if she was a 9 or a 10 then it would at least partly make up for it..... "

</Northernwanker>

And yes I know there are many of those on here - however they are amusing and entertaining, you are simply a twat - bugger off back to business/contracts where they are too polite to tell you to sod off.

And FWIW - I get one well with everyone I work with, I make the effort and it pays dividends.

EDIT: removed reply. Realised it wasn't worth the effort even responding to that....

SimonMac
28th March 2012, 22:05
<Northernwanker>

Stunning.... For a goat.

</Northernwanker>

Time of the month love, go lie down and it will all be better in the morning?

MarillionFan
28th March 2012, 22:09
Time of the month love, go lie down and it will all be better in the morning?

True colours.