• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

good software to record computer screen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good software to record computer screen?

I am looking for a good software to record/capture whats going on on my screen/web browser.

I would prefer something generating a decent file size as I intend to do a screen recording of about 3 hrs

cheers

css_jay99

3 hours?? Under what time lapse?

Do you have any idea what the size of the file is going to be? Either avi or flash unrendered it's going to be massive.

Camtasia or Camstudio would do it but it I would do research if I were you because it's going to depend on what you want to record and what you want to do with the file afterwards.

And you're going to need serious hardware (memory and storage) to handle it.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I am trying to record a web/video presentation (it might be via webEx ... not sure).

Once recorded then I can worry later about rendering.

I have a Mac mini and a Dell Windows 7 laptop , both are corei7 with 8gb Ram.

I tried using Quicktime on the MacMini but it does not record audio (... except for mic)

Comment

Not sure what you mean by "except for mic", what else are you going to use? If you're using a phone I'd suggest putting the phone on speaker and and recording that.
        Camtasia records audio but I always use Audacity and mix it later.

And yesterday I recorded an avi file while recording a webex meeting approx 10 mins - 250mb (in Camstudio, no audio).
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
          I am trying to record a web/video presentation (it might be via webEx ... not sure).

Once recorded then I can worry later about rendering.

I have a Mac mini and a Dell Windows 7 laptop , both are corei7 with 8gb Ram.

I tried using Quicktime on the MacMini but it does not record audio (... except for mic)
          Webex has its own in built recording function.

Does both video and sound.
          Still Invoicing

Comment

Ta blacjac, I'll give that a try.

@OP: if you use Camtasia et al. I would suggest breaking your recording into 6 half hour sessions (or a least 3 1 hr sessions) as thy'll be more manageable.

Comment

cheers guys,

i manages to get snapz pro for mac which seem to do the recording.

I'll also try out the webex recorder though not sure if the trial version is in any way restricted ...

css_jay99

Comment

Ooh, now that's worth a punt css_jay99.

I've changed to Mac so I'll give that a go and see how I get on.

Comment

As you have a Mac have you tried Grab? It's in Utilities.

Comment

Breaking into chunks is good advice but if you can record directly to high-quality H264 that's not going to be too horrendous... a few Gb.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X