• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in the UK

Well Defamator has raised an interesting point, so lets settle this once an for all. For those of you who were away for several years whose really glad to be back ?
    its fantastic
    12.50%
    nice
    31.25%
    what I'm doing here
    21.88%
    *$£%&*** terrible
    34.38%
    I'm alright Jack

who's

(now I realise just how annoying a smart ass spelling freak can be)
    Plan A is located just about here.
    If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Tsk

Originally posted by BlasterBates
      Well Defamator has raised an interesting point, so lets settle this once an for all. For those of you who were away for several years whose really glad to be back ?
      let's
      who's
      and
      Why not?

Comment

of course, it depends where in the UK you live.

London - one of the worst cities I've ever lived in
        Manchester - in the top half of the draw, let down by the rain
        Leafy southern counties - excellent, as long as you don't have to go into London too often

For comparison

Philadelphia - fantastic
        Dallas Fort Worth - awful, nearly as bad as London
        Barcelona - the best city in the world. Unparalleled for culture, climate and quality of life
        Rome - the close second to Barcelona, just the traffic that lets it down
        Paris - the only city worse than London
        Capetown - great, except for the nagging fear of violence that accompanies any journey after 7pm
        Plan A is located just about here.
        If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
          Working in UK is good but working in the Netherlands is better imho (if it wasn't for that *&*%* language they use!!!).
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Double edged sword.
            Chavs, crime, IR35, piss poor transport, control freak bosses are all things I never had to contend with abroad.

On the up side I get to spend time with friends and family, I get to ride my motorbike regularly, I understand the tax system (sort of), I understand the telly and you get a good range of excellent food (come on Franko).
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              Double edged sword.
              Chavs, crime, IR35, piss poor transport, control freak bosses are all things I never had to contend with abroad.

On the up side I get to spend time with friends and family, I get to ride my motorbike regularly, I understand the tax system (sort of), I understand the telly and you get a good range of excellent food (come on Franko).
              Definetely better than Holland. But if we only debate working conditions I think that the system is similar to the US. Too much work-oriented with hectic and stressful environments and lots of politics too (this is different from the US and probably what gives US an edge) but the money is nice.
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Britain is great apart from:

Rain
                Drought
                Crime
                Blair
                Brown
                Taxes
                Public Services
                Chavs
                Illegals
                Nannying
                Red Tape
                IR35
                Big Brother
                Speed Cameras
                Long Hours
                No Sunshine
                tulip Bosses
                Traffic Congestion
                House Prices (unless you own 1 or 2 of course )
                Cost of Gas, Electricity, Water, Petrol...
                Education Standards
                NHS

If you ignore all that, nothing comes close.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by XLMonkey
                  Capetown - great, except for the nagging fear of violence that accompanies any journey after 7pm
                  Surely this is a typo and should be 7am!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by XLMonkey
                    For comparison

Philadelphia - fantastic
                    Was it sarcastic? What's so good about Philadelphia apart from running up all the stairs to the Art museum shouting Adriaaaaaaaaannnnn?

Comment

Working...
                    X