• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legitimate expense for Offshore Engineers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legitimate expense for Offshore Engineers?

Hello All,

I've been a contractor for 25 years now in the oil & gas industry. Recently I turned my hobby of building chronographs into a new sideline and set up a seperate company so that I can do it all properly.

The chronograph I build and sell is called the OFFSHORE Professional Field Engineer. It's the result of many years tinkering and breaking watches in my day job to finally come up with a fully engineered chronograph that actually stands up to the daily treatment I give it. Because of this I consider it as a suitable timekeeping tool for my trade.

The question I have is would it be an acceptable expense for other Engineers? By which I mean, if another contractor buys one can he set it off as a legitimate business expense?

I don't know but personally I doubt it.

Either way it looks nice and this review is good. I do like this comment from the review

While some may bristle at that last remark, I think it showcases the sort of no-nonsense engineering that has gone into this watch.
    Any chance of a discount?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Surely this is spam?

Comment

Is a watch wholly and exclusively for the business?? Is it safety wear? You would have to have a pretty exceptional situation to be able to answer yes to either of those so I would also say no personally.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No. Nice job though

Originally posted by Lorne View Post
          Hello All,

I've been a contractor for 25 years now in the oil & gas industry. Recently I turned my hobby of building chronographs into a new sideline and set up a seperate company so that I can do it all properly.

The chronograph I build and sell is called the OFFSHORE Professional Field Engineer. It's the result of many years tinkering and breaking watches in my day job to finally come up with a fully engineered chronograph that actually stands up to the daily treatment I give it. Because of this I consider it as a suitable timekeeping tool for my trade.

The question I have is would it be an acceptable expense for other Engineers? By which I mean, if another contractor buys one can he set it off as a legitimate business expense?
          P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Definitely not a legitimate expense but it looks fab
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              I don't know but personally I doubt it.

Either way it looks nice and this review is good. I do like this comment from the review

Any chance of a discount?
              If you really would like a discount then you can always send me an email.

And, of course it's NOT spam! I've been a contractor for 25 years now, so I've come across one or two seriously good business expenses. In fact I've been a contractor so long I even remember when it was the in thing to register your company as a church - something to do with charitable status tax dodges.

The Reverend Lorne of the Church of Classic Chronographs

Comment

That's as nice a new watch as I've seen in a long time. Very nice, indeed.

Not a valid business expense though.

Comment

I was thinking that since it has a chronograph (stopwatch) built into it, and a stopwatch is pretty much essential offshore, for example for timing pipelay welding passes, then it should count as the sort of thing someone could possibly buy solely for business use.

The fact that someone might spend almost £1500 on a stopwatch is purely a matter of how they run their business.

Comment

Well, it smelled a bit like spam - signing up just to promote your product. But closer inspection and it seems to be crispy bacon. Yum.

Originally posted by Lorne View Post
                    I was thinking that since it has a chronograph (stopwatch) built into it, and a stopwatch is pretty much essential offshore, for example for timing pipelay welding passes, then it should count as the sort of thing someone could possibly buy solely for business use.

The fact that someone might spend almost £1500 on a stopwatch is purely a matter of how they run their business.
                    I recall once a painter bought an industrial washing machine for his overalls - a normal washing machine wouldn't do the job. When inspected he was asked "do you use it for personal stuff?". "No - just for the overalls". "Good" says the inspector "because if you had it wouldn't have been allowable".

So, in my view, and IANAC or a tax inspector, if you are someone who needs to time pipelay welding passes (Whatever they are), then so long as you never use it to actually tell the time except on business, it'll be allowable.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X