• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why are nicotine patches so damn expensive ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are nicotine patches so damn expensive ?

They should be priced to encourage people to give up - but they are bloody expensive !

In my case, I don't smoke a lot - maximum 5 a day, and only when I'm at work. So, its currently costing me about £1.20 a day to smoke. However, a pack of 7 patches cost be £13.99 (and that was Boots' own make, rather than a 'branded' packet) - thats 2 quid a day !!
    Its costing me more to not smoke than it is to smoke !

Hopefully I wont be on the patches long as I can quite happily not smoke when not at work - I only smoke at work (its a boredom thing) - but the point I am making is that they are not priced to encourage people

So Brownstuff taxes the hell out of tobacco products (its for our own good you know) - surely he's not got some ridiculous tax on products to help you give up ?? Personally, I think that all such products should be tax free anyway - all about encouraging people to give up.

When I worked at GSK their brand was on sale in their staff shop for £4.39.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I don't want to influence the "where would I emigrate to" thread, but in New Zealand you can get these on prescription....

Comment

Disgusting !!!!

Your are a TAX avoider and should be bobbited
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

You can in the UK as well. Just ask your GP about the Stop Smoking Service.
          Last edited by DaveB; 22 May 2006, 13:13. Reason: Pedantry
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

What's smoing, and why would you want to stop it?
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakes Daddy
              They should be priced to encourage people to give up - but they are bloody expensive !

In my case, I don't smoke a lot - maximum 5 a day, and only when I'm at work. So, its currently costing me about £1.20 a day to smoke. However, a pack of 7 patches cost be £13.99 (and that was Boots' own make, rather than a 'branded' packet) - thats 2 quid a day !!
              Its costing me more to not smoke than it is to smoke !

Hopefully I wont be on the patches long as I can quite happily not smoke when not at work - I only smoke at work (its a boredom thing) - but the point I am making is that they are not priced to encourage people

So Brownstuff taxes the hell out of tobacco products (its for our own good you know) - surely he's not got some ridiculous tax on products to help you give up ?? Personally, I think that all such products should be tax free anyway - all about encouraging people to give up.
              Walk into your local Boots (if it's large) and they will give you the stuff on prescription if you register.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Why? People smoke because they are weak. They will, because they are weak, eventually go back to smoking again. Why should hard working families, i.e. the tax payer, subsidise their little sweeties and other voodoo paraphernalia.

Only one way to stop smoking, and that is to stop smoking.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
                  Disgusting !!!!

Your are a TAX avoider and should be bobbited
                  OK, so let me get this straight - I should continue to buy ciggies thus contributing to the tax system - and after all, its only fair that I pay my way.
                  But then I shouldn't actually smoke them as its bad for me and everyone around me, and it makes me smelly.
                  And by not smoking them, I further help the system by being less likely to require the services and resources of the NHS
                  And by not smoking, I further aid this great nation of ours by not littering the place with discarded fag packets and dog ends (not that I do that currently I might add)
                  And by continuing to buy them (but not smoke them) I help the economy by not making loads of people in ciggie factories redundant.

Yes, I can see that is a sound plan. I'll continue to buy ciggies, but not smoke them. And as Jake and Jakes Mummy are my dependants I should do the responsible thing and buy ciggies for them to not smoke, thus making their contributions to the good of this wonderful nation for them.

Comment

If you're going to buy them and not smoke them, then buy them in bulk from Euroland.

Then you can hang about your local at Xmas in a Ben Sherman shirt and gold hooped earing and flog them off to the punters for profit.

Meridian in "Plan B" mode

Comment

Working...
                    X