• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freeing hostages

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeing hostages

"FRANCE, Italy and Germany sanctioned the payment of $45 million in deals to free nine hostages abducted in Iraq, according to documents seen by The Times.

All three governments have publicly denied paying ransom money. But according to the documents, held by security officials in Baghdad who have played a crucial role in hostage negotiations, sums from $2.5 million to $10 million per person have been paid over the past 21 months."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...191229,00.html

Some might say it's not suprising, but what should the UK be doing?
    Under no circumstances.
    58.82%
    No, but if it was someone I knew then...
    11.76%
    Possibly, as long as its kept out of the media.
    0.00%
    Possibly, if we believe we can catch up with the culprits later.
    17.65%
    Whatever it takes, but within limits, financial or otherwise.
    5.88%
    Whatever it takes, of course.
    5.88%

Originally posted by Joe Black
    Some might say it's not suprising, but what should the UK be doing?
    Well, kidnapping French, Italian and German nationals of course. Gordon Brown would be extremely pleased with the extra income to the exchequer.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

This causes a real problem.

Normally this would make nationals of those countries vulnerable.
      The kidnappers dont have a capability of discerning Frogs, Krauts and Wops from anybody else.
      So when they kidnap the wrong one they just top em and throw em away and go find another.

We need to present a united front to show that there is no profit in kidnapping westerners.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I was working at “Lloyds” insurance. They have fulltime staff travelling around the world doing payoffs for kidnapping and piracy. The most common scenario is that a container ship is boarded by pirates and the ship is then taken to an Asian or African port where the pirates would then come up with official documents claiming ownership of the ship and cargo. The crew would be released for a few thousand dollars and then the ship and cargo for a few whatever the going rate.
        HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

It's true. The port authorities in African and Asian countries often collaborate in these cargo seizure scams. They correctly reason that the cargo's insurers will happily pay a couple of thousand dollars to get the cargo and the vessel released and on its way. This is small beer compared to the fines and compensation payments that may be due if the cargo is unduly delayed, especially if it is perishable.

Comment

One option I forgot: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117438/

Comment

Working...
            X