• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear : Fined for not recycling correctly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear : Fined for not recycling correctly

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/5004860.stm

A 30-year-old mother of three has appeared before magistrates in Devon accused of failing to recycle household waste properly.
    Donna Challice, of Wonford, Exeter, is being prosecuted for contaminating recyclable rubbish under the Environmental Protection Act.

She denies six charges brought by Exeter City Council in what is thought to be the first case of its kind.

The case was adjourned by Cullompton magistrates for two weeks.

She was was released on bail and will next appear at the same court on 5 June for a pre-trial review.

The offences of putting food waste into recycling bins are alleged to have taken place on 2 and 16 November 2005, 30 and 14 December 2005, and 8 and 22 February 2006.

She faces a possible fine of £1,000 and court costs if found guilty.

Under the Environmental Protection Act, local authorities have the power to specify how people separate their waste, which bin it should be placed in and which day it will be collected.

Where will it all end?

Fined for parking
    Fined for speeding
    Fined for littering
    Fined for not recycling
    Fined for swearing in public
    Fined for not returning your tax form on time
    Fined for not declaring SORN on your car
    Fined for not filling out electoral form

and so it goes on.......

Its always the big stick and never the carrot.

If they offered to reduce your council tax for every bag you recycled the chavs would be breaking in to steal your rubbish.

Sorted! Wealth redistribution and environmentaly friendly.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I don't recycle at all thanks to a fox taking a tulip in the recycling box. Not that the bin men actually notice the recylcing box.
      Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

recycling causes more carbon emmissions - check the local tip and you will see lots of cars with engines running all caused by drivers having to stop at several skips preventing other drivers getting past to the skip of choice. Our local tip has even banned entrance by foot - you must be queueing up in a vehicle emitting carbon monoxide to qualify. Secondly for those who do a large DIY job they cannot hire a commercial vehicle to get rid of the rubbish because they would not be let in - so several car journeys have to be made knocking out far more carbon monoxide.

I wonder why fly tipping is on the increase.

Comment

And as was embarrasingly pointed out on Any Questions a couple of weeks ago, the government targets are only for "collection for recycling", not for recycling itself. According to the information released by the Department of the Environment under the FoI act, some 80-85% of plastic and glass collected for recycling in the UK is shipped to China and buried in landfill sites.

Comment

Funny you should mention SORN's earlier in this thread.

The landlords of our apartment block (we are private assured tenants) have started to patrol the communal parking area outside the house.

Any vehicles not displaying a current Tax Disc are posted with a notice on the windscreen that the Landlord will remove the vehicles from the carpark within the next 14 days.

2 have been removed already, in as many months.

There is a current dispute about a 3rd, a BMW '04 Reg, no tax. The owner is contracting most of the time overseas, and only pops back 2-3 times a year for a day at most. So, he has decided to officially SORN the car and save a few bob on road tax.

Except the landlord is saying that SORN is irrelevant. The landlord's line of thought is....

10 Does it Have A Valid Tax Disc
            20 If Yes Then Leave Alone
            30 If No Then Remove Car from Carpark
            40 Run

I guess the land is the landlord's, so I assume his rules with regards to traffic override any from the Government, as it is not a Queen's Highway or whatever they are called.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Of course, as it's his land he's not not obliged to let anybody park on it at all and can set whatever rules he likes within the law. However, I suspect that as he is not a local authority, traffic warden or other authorised person (licensed clamper, tow truck operator, etc.) that unless his parking restrictions are publically and clearly displayed along with the penalty for breech thereof, he could be charged with theft.

I don't believe his posting a notice on the car after you have parked is good enough.

Of course, IANAL and may be talking sh1te as usual.

Comment

I've had this before with an old rusty rover. I stuck my head out and two pikey ***** were trying to nick it. They broke the steering column and ignition badly trying to nick it so I declared it SORN. The landlord called Nottingham city council who put a notice on it for collection because it was on his property.

I argued (I wanted to keep it!) but the bastard landlord was going to have it removed by the Nazi bastard council round there.

I just sold the thing on ebay for a quid and came home from work to find it gone and a quid and a business card dropped through the letterbox.
                Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

That might be slightly different, Monkey Boy, as in your case the landlord contacted the council to remove the vehicle and they are entitled to do that. If BCG's landlord is removing the vehicles himself, he might be on less firm ground.

Comment

Working...
                  X